Sign in to follow this  

carb id question

the carb on my used drz440e measures 42mm and has the # 29f40118 stamped on the side. Could someone id this carb? thx mlh

the carb on my used drz440e measures 42mm and has the # 29f40118 stamped on the side. Could someone id this carb? thx mlh

A few questions first: What year bike? Why do you call it a 440? Where did you measure 42mm?

I. D. No. 29F4 is a standard issue Keihin 39mm FCR carb used in the US and Canada on a Suzuki DR-Z400E.

A drz440 is a drz400 with a dope on the keyboard. I remeasured and the throat is 40mm on the engine side and 42mm on the air box side. I always thought they were the same. If you look into the air box end there is a narrowing ridge near the slide. The carb is a keihin and the bike year is 2001. It appears the coasting enrichment system has been taken off. When I rode cz's things were not as complicated. But, man is the ride different.

Thx to you and noble as well

Yup, that sounds like a standard issue 39mm FCR. Normally a carb is measured at the dia of the throttle plate (or wherever the manufacturer chooses). On a smooth bore FCR, that would be under the slide fully open. To be honest, I don't know what a 39mm FCR carb actually measures as often the published size is "descriptive" rather than "true" size. If the carb body has Suzuki numbers on it, which it does, then it came OEM on a Suzuki and would be a 39mm body.

thanks, the numbers after the 29f4 did not match any others when I searched. Now I can go the the jetting database and get started.

mlh