Sign in to follow this  

Help! Left turns are stronger than right.

Particularly in sharp turns. So what do I do?

I think it's because when I turn left, I can maintain a good grip on the bar and high elbow position with the outside hand. ie-throttle hand. But it's a bit more difficult with the clutch hand.

Any suggestions?

I feel the same way on the left hands easier than right thing, but not in typical riding situation, only when I'm doing a burnout/turnaround thingy(I dunno what you call it lol) from a stop.

It's easier to turn left because you are probably using your rear brake for longer through the turn. When you turn left you have your rear brake on a lot longer than if you were going to turn right and have your right leg out to corner. Using your rear brake through the turn makes it easier to turn sharply

That's an interesting theory. I'll keep that in mind.

I just don't feel like I've got my weight under control properly when turning right. Feels like a body positioning problem, which is why I think it has something to do with gripping the bars and maintaining a raised elbow on the clutch side.

When turning left, I feel I can really weight the outside peg well, and get my but right over the side of the seat. When I'm turning right, I'm not so confident.

That's an interesting theory. I'll keep that in mind.

I just don't feel like I've got my weight under control properly when turning right. Feels like a body positioning problem, which is why I think it has something to do with gripping the bars and maintaining a raised elbow on the clutch side.

When turning left, I feel I can really weight the outside peg well, and get my but right over the side of the seat. When I'm turning right, I'm not so confident.

Find yourself a nice flat spot and practise doing figures or eight, go one way and then the other, get your weight real forward and control your speed with the clutch/throttle. A bit of practice and you'll be surprised how slowly and tightly you can turn.

I have the same problem to the left. I can turn really tight to the right, but the left seems to drift on me. I am right handed and a friend of mine is laft handed and he has the same problem as you, strange!

It's easier to turn left because you are probably using your rear brake for longer through the turn. When you turn left you have your rear brake on a lot longer than if you were going to turn right and have your right leg out to corner. Using your rear brake through the turn makes it easier to turn sharply

This is why most SX starts have a left turn at end of start.