Sign in to follow this  

Throttle question

I have been riding for a few weeks now on my TT-R 125L. I am really having a hard time getting used to the throttle. I either give it too much, or not at all. I know that I just need some seat time, but do yall have any suggestions or input about how long it will take me to get this down pat?

Also, when yall were learning to ride, what all did you do? I have been driving around in a line, making large turns, and a few tight turns, but I am really not sure enough about myself to tackle any trails or anything.

Any input is needed!! Thanks in advance

Hi, congratulations on taking up riding you'll love it the more you get out and do it. One thing that comes to mind is you may be staying in too low a gear. Sometimes you are better off upshifting to a higher gear so your engine rpm's will be lower. This will reduce the effect of the throttle somewhat(you'll need more throttle to speed the engine up). Small engines like your 125 produce most of their power at higher rpm. So by going a gear higher and reducing rpm you are reducing available power. Also one thing to really work on is your brake and clutch control. You should practice starts with the clutch until you can take off on flat ground with absolutely no throttle. Practice your braking to make sure you are using both brakes and know how much you are applying each at any given time.

Joe

Also, try relaxing your hand, and not death gripping. I have a bad habit of doing that when I'm tired or tense and it always results in accidental acceleration.

Be sure to grip "on top of the bars" as my MX instructor friend says. You want your elbows way up in the air--I mean until you feel ridiculous looking, but trust me, it's not silly, it works. Your forearm and wrist should be in a straight line, don't bend your wrist.

You should check for MX or basic riding classes in your area, even just the street bike one. They will help a ton. Lots of local pro MX racers teach classes, and even if you never race, the concepts carry into all types of riding. If you are in the Northwest go to www.ewmxschools.com. Also, look for books and videos by Gary Semics, they have some good tips in them.