Sign in to follow this  

Tools / Tool bag?

I'm looking for suggestions on what tools to carry and a tool bag for riding? Anybody carry CO2 tire inflators? Did a search and didn't find anything.

I carry a Fox fanny pack style tool bag with a few things that might be used. I carry a pair of levers cause the kid likes to snap them off. Zip ties and a roll of electrical tape can do a lot for you.

One thing I've done with hand tools is to use a Snap-On 1/4" nut driver that has a 1/4" square drive socket in the top of it. By using a collection of 1/4" screwdriver bits, sockets, and a 1/4" drive T handle or ratchet, I can build 10 or so differerent tools out of stuff that weighs almost nothing and takes up very little space. Doesn't have to be Snap-On, lots of people make the same kind of set up.

It also helps reduce the need for tools on the trail if you use them well before you ride. :)

:):D:D I guess I didn't search too well or spelled it tole ;)

One more question. The Spark plug wrench. If you don't have the Yamaha, what do you use? Is it worth getting or will any thin wall knuckled 15mm(?) do? I have to buy or make one up anyway.

I use a Moose Enduro fanny pack and carry the following tools:

Cruz multi tool w/1/4" drive 6mm.8mm,10mm&12mm sockets and allen wrenches

mini 1/4" drive t-handle

zip ties

spare sparkplug and plug socket

knife, matches, pencil & paper

6 in 1 screwdriver

small vice grip plyers

small needle nose plyers w/wire cutters

small assortment of open end wrenches

short lengths of wire and duct tape

misc. nuts & bolts

I got paranoid about bumbags/fannypacks when I watched a rider having a screwdriver removed from his back in a rally. He was damned lucky it missed his spine and his kidneys. :)

Since then, I have always fixed all my tools in various places on the bike. It's amazing what you can fix onto a bike with tape and a bit of thought.

For instance, on my race bike, I don't have an e-starter and I don't use the coolant reservoir. You can fit tons of stuff where the battery and the res used to sit. :p

Also, you can't forget to put it on after you've been using it (voice of bitter experience!!):)

Just a thought.

R.