Sign in to follow this  

Performance test of non oring(review)

I stopped running non orings back in the early 90's because of their longevity. I recently decided to try a new generation type non oring. The 8800lb Chromally heat treated over sized pins RK motocross. Heaviest non oring on the market.

I've got around a couple thousand miles( all street), and I doubt it will make more than another 1000 or so. It's been nothing much continuous adjustment and stretch, and lubed very frequently. :)

your not really suprised are you? :)

btw,RK tends to be way over generous with their ratings.

if you want to try another non oring chain go with a DID ERT or a regina.

That's true on the wallet, but before I went to a heavier oring (power cut), I thought we'd give it a shot.

If could get close to 10k, we'd have been happy, but these results so far not even half. BUMMER

(btw my 01 drz is still on the original regina x-ring i built it with.)

How many street miles do you think I can expect out of it?

That's true on the wallet, but before I went to a heavier oring (power cut), I thought we'd give it a shot.

If could get close to 10k, we'd have been happy, but these results so far not even half. BUMMER

get a DID X-ring much much less power loss than a normal o-ring, and they last longer than the o-rings as well. I've had 30K miles out of a DID x-ring on my streetbike with nothing more than Kal-gurad chain kote as lubricant

as I'm looking for a new chain I suppose I'll hop on the back of this thread.

My Regina X-ring has gone south after about 4k miles so I'm looking for another... The DID ERT is a non-ring chain, correct? How would maintainence differ from an o-ring or x-ring chain?

This non oring MXZ3 is a fairly stout chain, strong enough I suspect theres no non oring that's going to make a significant difference. I didn't expected it to wear so quickly.

But I started at 4.0 position on the snails, 2500 miles later the snails are at 5.4 setting (9 position changes). RKXSO maybe 1 position move in that time frame.

We've decided to just go back to the RKXSO(sitting at our side) and change before 8k. We had been doing alot of high rpm force fed street decel over the life on that last chain (XSO) it snapped a little over 9k. I'll cool it a little on that technique for longevity purposes.

I have 11,300 mostly street miles on the original chain. It just now is about to be replaced because it is almost out of adjustment range.

I ran stock chain to 14.2 thousand miles and it wasn't all the way back but close. It was however shot with front to back movement in the links. Had one snap at 9 k (replacement) and it had only seen about 4 adjustment marks. I deemed about half life, but the snap says regroup>G<

When I broke my rkXSO, I went to a non oring at heavier tensil for test

This was an RK gbmxz3 motocross and was replaced today about 2500 miles on it. Chain stretch during that time on the snails 4.0 position to 6.0 , 10 notches.

:)

One of the reasons I gave this a shot , was I didn't want to go to alot heavier oring mainly 2.2mm plates because of the width and weight, and I fiquered I could atleast get 8 0r 9 k out of the non oring. Being the non oring was heattreated chromally side plates,over size pins and 8800lb tensil, but it was not to be.

I did what I should have done in the first place, go to a much heavier oring.

bUT Power rob? I see abSOLultely no difference in power with this heavier oring in comparision to the non oring or even the RK oring, so my power rob concern was a wasted thought, it really doesn't exist.

This Regina ORS just installed I will fine out shortly how it lives in comparison to the RKXSO. I reallly expected some chain drag feel coming off that non oring but NOPE.

once a oring chain is up to temp it has the same or actually less drag than a roller chain.

it was well documented when oring chain first became the norm.

On mx bikes like at an motocross track (orings), constantly. DRZ with (oring )mostly on road every 200 miles or less. The non oring I was doing every 100/150 miles much more attentive and the thing had to be adjusted twice a week because of stretch , that's about the most I can do since my rides entail those kind of miles minimum. I think the only way to really lube the non oring is to remove and soak in oil every ride. But I used 3 cans of lube on it in 2 months>G< I soaked that sucker as best I could.

But , with the non oring I could ride 100 miles(no rain). put the bike on stand and the chain would already be starting to squeak. This weekend I was riding rain both saturday and sunday, Extreme squeak just prior to replacing.

With this regina, I'm going to run this stuff called motorex622 sythentic for the street see if it holds up better for longer hauls.

the only thing chain lube does on a oring chain it cushion the rollers against the sprocket.

your doing fine.motorex is good chain lube.