Sign in to follow this  

Disappointed CRF owner

I now have joined the ranks of those who are a lttle miffed at Honda. I bought 2 2005 CRF250's in October, one for my son, one for me. I have about 30 ours on my bike with no problems. My sons work and family have kept him from riding his bike and he has less than 10 hours on it. I have checked the valves frequently on both bike and they have always been in spec. I have also kept an eye on the oil levels and changed the filters on both bike each time they were ridden. today my son entered his first race on the new bike a 50 mile cross-country event. About 12 miles into the race he heard a backfire a loud clattering and the bike stopped running. The kickstart lever will not move. I am going to clean the bike up in the morning and pull the valve cover for a quick look . I realize this is a race bike, but my son and I have been riding 4-strokes for years and we do not bounce the motors off the rev limiter. If(?) there is some sort of catastrophic failure, Honda is going to have an unhappy and very strong willed customer on their hands, who will want some sort of satisfaction. I'll let everyone know what happens. :)

wow I've never heard of this before kind of pisses me off. maybe Honda is keeping it on the low down. like ford did with their taurus sho's, nothing was ever resolved. Best of luck.

I have 12.8 hours on my 2005 CRF250. I haven't got to race it yet and my Tranny Main Bearing went out today. That makes for the second bike in a row for me. My 2004 CRF250 trany bearing went out after 1 year of riding /racing. and now my 2005. Not good, I think Honda know about this problem but won't admit it. :):):p:D

I really don't think there is a big problem going on. If you go through any of the bike threads....you will see ALL bikes have some issues here and there. Sure sucks when it happens to you though.

As always, maintenance schedules come into mind, how often oil was changed, was the oil contaminated with say, water, etc.

I have never heard of until now, a CRF250 losing a tranny bearing....there is always a first time...

The kickstart lever will not move. I am going to clean the bike up in the morning and pull the valve cover for a quick look. If(?) there is some sort of catastrophic failure, Honda is going to have an unhappy and very strong willed customer on their hands, who will want some sort of satisfaction. I'll let everyone know what happens. :)

Kicker won't move? Just looking under the valve cover probably ain't gonna tell you all you need to know. I say pull the head off - and the cylinder if you can. A stuck kicker ain't a good sign. :)

It oviously is not the first time. In a post above someone had it happen to there 04, twice. My 04 and 05 tranny bearing blew apart. I mean completely Blew in little pieces. Oviously that bearing wasn't designed to hold that much torque. As I read other post on this site and other sites, the Tranny Main Bearing has been a problem. I know some are going to be luck and not happen to them. I know two people with 04's that are fine. But for me it has happend on both bikes two year in a row. I have a call into my local Honda dealer who happenes to be my sponsor. I will do some checking to see how many people have been complaining.

By the way, After twelve point eight hours on my 05 the oil has been changed three times. I don't think that would be the problem. The problem is the bearing is weak.

Hey "penguin", you are in a tough spot about wanting some help from Honda. They say we bought RACE bikes and there is NO warranty. I questioned my dealer about that and he said that he would make sure I was taken care of if something was obviously wrong and it was Honda's fault. Fortunately I haven't had to hold him to his word. Others here have posted their attempts to get satisfaction from Honda, without any success being reported. A response from Honda that has been repeated on this forum many times: "since you took the motor apart yourself, we won't cover anything."

I think you should call your dealer before you start tearing into the motor. Maybe Honda has just used that excuse to dismiss the owners outright, OR maybe they will consider taking care of you if they know that their "qualified???" mechanics are the only fingers inside their engine? I know I'm more qualified than most guys working at Honda shops, and so that's the hard decision on your part: do you trust them?

To qualify a mechanic, you want one with years of experience and factory training by Honda. I have 2 full weeks from Honda and 1 week from Kawasaki, and it makes sooo much difference in your skills and ability, compared to the guys that are hired in for the summer and told to "take that motor apart, use the parts manual if you don't know where something goes". It cost a lot of money to send a mechanic off to school for a week or more, shops aren't quick to educate someone who might not be around for years.

Good Luck, and please keep us posted!

As I was washing the bike this morning, I had second thoughts about taking it apart myself. I have bought about 15 bikes and all my parts and gear from this dealer in the last 10 years ( lots of $$$$) and they will do anything they can to get Honda to make it right. The service manager agreed that even a race motor should hold together a little longer than mine did. I figured it up and the bike has 7.5 hours total including the 1.5 hours spent heat cycling the motor 3 times and changing the oil and filter after that 1.5 hours. The oil was full before my son started it sunday morning, as was the coolant, and the oil still looks clean. Honda might not want to do anything, but I am polite and very persistent on something like this. My local shop said they should be able to look at the bike by wednesday and have some word from honda by friday. Beating them over the head with my wallet motivates them pretty well.

(cough) Honda (cough)

i have to agree with the the guy that posted just before me.

someone said all bikes have problems, thats true but yamhas have very little problems compared to the crfs.

this is turning me off big time, i'm getting a new bike soon, and i'm paying for it by my self, (i'm 14) if i were to but a bike that is crappie and has valve problems i would make Honda but it from me so i could buy a yzf.

just my opinion

i think a yzf won'y have many if any problems, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

:)

thanks for the Yammie commercial. If there were any decent dealers in my area I might have considered a blue toad.

I've owned both. The Yamaha was a good bike but the quality in general made me sick when I worked on it. (maybe the result of being an anal engineer)

I really haven't had a major problem with either. The Yamaha was faster(YZ compared to X), but the honda does everything else better. It has better suspension, handling and feels lighter. The quality of materials and engineering is far superior on the honda. (I know, I know- except possibly the valve train although the jury is still out for me). I only get a chance to ride every few weeks so maybe if it was more often, I would have more problems. From my point of view, I am more pleased with the Honda, but the Yamaha was good too. If anything changes my mind about the Honda, I will probably go back to euro bikes.

sounds like a tooth in the trany broke... same thing happened to a buddy of mine with a 2 stroke kawi (200). his happened when his master link broke though and got jammed wheel stopped moving but engine and gears did not stop as fast (yet they tried, thus the broke tooth)

That really sucks, should have bought YZ250F's, seriously. Keep us posted and good luck.

Doug

Go away you flame baiting ignorant sap. If I had wanted a top heavy 4 year old outdated design I would have bought one. There's some bait for you. I know you will take it.

I have a good friend that has broken 4th gear on his YZF2250, twice. Does that make all blue bikes bad? No. The majority of CRF owners have no isses, same as the blue bikes. You make me sick, and I am going to dog you every chance I get as long as you are a biased, ignorant idiot. Keep on posting stupid stuff like this. We like the entertainment.

I think 4 strokes are all "hyped" and no "go"

I've been riding the CRF since 2002 (ooops....I forgot and used "2000" originally), but now I've come to some conclusions:

- Until the 4strokes are as "reliable" as the 2-strokes, I'm not touching another 4-strokes again.

- I love riding my 4-strokes, but I also love riding my 2-strokes.

- I definitely prefer the easier starts on the 2-strokes.

- I certainly like the lighter weight of the 2-strokes.

For the average Joe who don't race or need the "hole shot", the 2-strokes are a better investment.

- When I ride my 2-strokes, I don't even worry about blown piston......

- When I ride my 4-strokes, I worry about everything (clean filters, clean oil, don't bouch off the rev, etc....)

I don't know about you guys but it's more fun being the only few 2-stroke riders nowadays...too many people are riding 4-strokes.....

Plus, I don't even know how to do a top-end on a 4-stroke....

I think 4 strokes are all "hyped" and no "go"

- When I ride my 2-strokes, I don't even worry about blown piston......

- When I ride my 4-strokes, I worry about everything (clean filters, clean oil, don't bouch off the rev, etc....)

I don't know about you guys but it's more fun being the only few 2-stroke riders nowadays...too many people are riding 4-strokes.....

Plus, I don't even know how to do a top-end on a 4-stroke....

When I ride my 4-stroke, I pass people like you on your 2-smoke. All I worry about is I hope I didnt get too much roost in his/her face.

If you dont ride 4-strokes get off Thumper Talk..

Sorry, but I am tired of Honda bashing and 4-stroke bashing here. Help people or dont friggn' post.

Anyhoo, if its locked up, its ugly. I hope you get good news.

They all have problems. We just don't hear about all of them. Some people either don't get online or they don't post there problems. I have three friend that bought YZF 250's and had major blown up engines ($1000 to 1500 each time). Same goes for a friend who has the new YZ125 with tranny problems already. I have a friend with the RMZ 250 with no problems at all. But 4 other buddies with KXF250's with all kinds of problems including blown engins (destroyed the top), valve problems and many other problems. And I have friends with CRF250's that haven't had any problems, unlike myself who have had the Tranny bearing going out ( as in completely blowing apart).

I've been riding the CRF since 2000, but now I've come to some conclusions...

yeah, me too... like ur full of sh!#