Quicksilver ,lets hear it!

It was nasty for sure.

I was on Minute 9. At one point I saw everyone from 1-8 stuck in a mud hole.

most houred out on the first loop. The pros thought it was too easy to keep time.

I ended up loosing 66 mins on loop 1 and opted out of loop 2.

That's why they call it a national.

Well, it was quite an event. The days of rain definately caused for some tough conditions and a couple of bottomless pits. The mud was gooey and seemed to stick to practically everything. The creeks were significant and a couple spots kind of deep. But some of the trails were wahoo fun. It was amazing how well a tire could find traction when you thought all was lost. Some of the long uphills craved horsepower and were begging to be shredded. While other hills showed no mercy with their steep clines, rocks and ruts.

The "mudhole" on the 1st loop was hell for some racers. I knew something was up when I saw riders going the wrong direction on the trail. They said there was a bad mudhole and no one was getting through. Being from Washington I've seen plenty of bad mudholes. But what laid before my eyes was something out of a bad horror movie. I was able to pick a route off to the right, keeping out of a huge rut and then bull dogging the bike through a hole that was getting bigger.

I rolled into Check 3 down 37 minutes and knew that if I could keep from houring out, I could do pretty good. Those hopes were dashed after coming to a nasty, rocky uphill with bikes scattered all over the place. I chose a line off to the left up a wash with rocks and ruts, but it honestly looked better than where all the bikes were. I got hung up on a steep step-up that required me to pick my bike up and move it over. That went all reserve energy I had and arrived at check 4 83 minutes down.

I had never houred out of an enduro before and was quite bummed about the ordeal. I ended up riding the rest of the course back into camp. On the way back I ran into many bikes that had run out of fuel. I helped a guy on a Husky who was having all sorts of problems with his automatic clutch, dead battery, exhausted rider and now out of fuel. I transferred some fuel to him and even kick started his bike. After the event he thanked me for the help.

I heard from riders that rode the 2nd loop that the conditions were much easier and the trails were actually getting better. I wish I could have had the pleasure of riding another loop, but my exhaustion was pretty bad and probably would have perished if I went for another loop.

Ed and the rest of the Salinas Ramblers did a great job of working in incredible conditions and situations to put on a great event given the obstacles they had to overcome. Many riders complain about one thing or another, but putting on enduros myself, I understand the complexities of running a successful enduro when the weather is good--not to mention when you've got to do reroutes and everything else when the weather is bad.

Will I be there next year? Hmmmm, after driving 2300 miles, I'm not up for a long road trip right now. But we had a good showing of Washington riders at the event. Maybe we'll drag a few more riders next year. We'll see.

Mrudy, thank for making the long trip down to Clear Creek. Sorry things didn't go so well out on the first loop. I know the loop leader tried to create a by-pass but I guess the entire section of trail was a wet spot. We will have to find another way around that area next year.

Conditioning is really important but many people lack it due to the winter season and the holidays. The wet, muddy rock sections on the first loop can really suck the energy out of you.

I hope we can run another national and that you can make a return visit!