what are great rides in the Gifford-pinchot?

Juniper ridge is a for sure trail to ride. Langille ridge is very steep and has ALOT of steep sidehill,the gifford pinchot website has trail descriptions that are very good. some of the trails around blue lake are getting a little hacked up.

• 4 years later...

My girlfriend just flipped her ATV down a hill due to sucky narrow trails... She's not a novice rider by any means. We were on 270 and 271a and if you don't mind the possibility of falling down a huge cliff...go for it. I will never go back.

My girlfriend just flipped her ATV down a hill due to sucky narrow trails... She's not a novice rider by any means. We were on 270 and 271a and if you don't mind the possibility of falling down a huge cliff...go for it. I will never go back.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Gifford. When you said ATV did you mean it was not a motorcycle? GP has only two areas with short loop trails wide enough for ATV use (at Blue Lake & Trout Lake). This area is basically all single track trails for riders with lots of vertical terrain experience.

The Forest Service has rated all of the OHV trails with a system simular to that used by alpine ski areas. Only two trails at GF are rated easy, the majority are single or double black diamond rated (Difficult and Most Difficult), and a half dozen rated Moderate.

I clipped the following from a GPNF Trail Guide

"A rating of “easy” does not mean the trail would be easy for a beginner but rather for an experienced rider. The rating does not indicate the relative hazard or risk for that trail. All the trails pose a risk of injury if ridden too fast or carelessly. Even a trail rated “easiest” may have steep side slopes. The rating only refers to the difficulty of riding the trail itself. "

Guide: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/trailbikes/trails.shtml

Maps: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/trailbikes/maps.shtml

GPNF is an awful place to ride. I suggest you look elsewhere for a more suitable place :worthy:

Actually,m its real nice, one of my favorite places. But dont tell anyone else! :banana:

yah that place sucks, trails are crap and it's nothing but snow until september.:banana:

DO NOT just throw a sand rider on a quad and send them down the valley trail (270) there are spots that are just wide enough to make it with little room for error. :worthy:

if you don't mind the possibility of falling down a huge cliff...go for it. I will never go back. TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS PLEASE.

the trails are some of the best if not THE BEST in wa, but some require CONFIDENCE in your riding ability.

EXAMPLE

DSCN4875.jpg

These are definitely the best in Washington, if not the best in the Northwest. That picture looks like one of the switchbacks on the devil's staircase.

I have ridden every trail in the GP and I would say my favorites are Hamilton Butte (for the view) and the Boundary Trail for the serious amount of country that you can cover (Bring extra fuel).

Some where there are very good trail descriptions of the GPNF.

By far they are the most fair/ accurate descriptions of any trails I've ever read. If it says double diamond, it means it. If it says "if you fall you will die" it means it. They were obviously written by someone who knew the trails well and was an advanced rider.

Some where there are very good trail descriptions of the GPNF.

By far they are the most fair/ accurate descriptions of any trails I've ever read. If it says double diamond, it means it. If it says "if you fall you will die" it means it. They were obviously written by someone who knew the trails well and was an advanced rider.

+1 on that, I think the first sentrnce in the GPNF Trail Guide says it all.

"A rating of “easy” does not mean the trail would be easy for a beginner but rather for an experienced rider."

It then goes on: "The rating does not indicate the relative hazard or risk for that trail. All the trails pose a risk of injury if ridden too fast or carelessly. Even a trail rated “easiest” may have steep side slopes. The rating only refers to the difficulty of riding the trail itself. "

Trail Guide: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation...s/trails.shtml