Sign in to follow this  

PVC fork seal driver

I need to replace the fork seals on my 05' YZ450F. Has anyone used PVC pipe instead of metal drivers? If so how did you cut it and what size?

What about using the old seal to drive in the new one and the cut off the old seal? What do you use to hammer on the old seal when driving in the new one?

Thanks.

Check out this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208324&highlight=fork+seal+driver

If you have any doubts, buy the seal driver. :)

I just did my WR250F today using ABS instead of PVC (doesn't splinter as easily). No mass to the plastic so I had to hammer it. Sliding the hammer (claws) along the fork tube is an unsettling experience :) . I have to replace my wife's XR seals next...going to buy the driver now that I've learned my lesson.

Here's what's working well for me:

1,) Cut a 4 inch length of 1.5 inch diameter PVC.

2.) Cut that piece lengthwise into 4 separate pieces.

3.) File a bevel (about 30 degrees) on the side of the bottom (the end that will contact the seal) of each piece - this allows the PVC to fit into the gap between the inner and outer tubes of the fork. (This step may not be needed if you already have sufficient space.) Create the bevel so that it tapers towards what was originally the inside of the PVC. Don't make the bevel such that it comes to a point or you'll damage the seal - just a slight taper so that it fits into the above gap.

4.) I then take a Magic Marker and draw an arrow on each PVC piece pointing to the beveled end of the piece.

5.) Fit the PVC pieces with the arrow pointing down around the inner tube of the fork and against the dust seal. There will be gaps between the pieces so I keep them in place with an electrical tie.

6.) Buy a 1 3/4 inch to 2 3/8 inch PVC adapter and a length of 2 3/8 inch PVC. Cut the latter to about a 3 foot length. The diameter of the PVC adapter will vary depending on the size of your forks. These sizes work well on the 43 mm forks on my XR250. The idea is that the smaller diameter end of the PVC adapter will contact the top edges of the PVC pieces.

Ok, we're ready to go. Smack the PVC pieces with the PVC adapter with the 3 foot length of PVC fitted into it. Three or four whacks is all it usually takes.

A couple of lessons learned. Put the dust seal over the fork seal during the seating operation. Also, make sure that the metal washer that fits under the fork seal is in place with the beveled edge of the washer down.

On my XR250 I paid no attention to this washer and couldn't get the seals to seat no matter what. Took the tubes apart and noticed that the beveled edge of the washer needed to be down in order to fit into a recess in the fork.

Later,

Joe

1,) Cut a 4 inch length of 1.5 inch diameter PVC.

2.) Cut that piece lengthwise into 4 separate pieces.

3.) File a bevel (about 30 degrees) on the side of the bottom (the end that will contact the seal) of each piece - this allows the PVC to fit into the gap between the inner and outer tubes of the fork. (This step may not be needed if you already have sufficient space.) Create the bevel so that it tapers towards what was originally the inside of the PVC. Don't make the bevel such that it comes to a point or you'll damage the seal - just a slight taper so that it fits into the above gap.

4.) I then take a Magic Marker and draw an arrow on each PVC piece pointing to the beveled end of the piece.

5.) Fit the PVC pieces with the arrow pointing down around the inner tube of the fork and against the dust seal. There will be gaps between the pieces so I keep them in place with an electrical tie.

6.) Buy a 1 3/4 inch to 2 3/8 inch PVC adapter and a length of 2 3/8 inch PVC. Cut the latter to about a 3 foot length. The diameter of the PVC adapter will vary depending on the size of your forks. These sizes work well on the 43 mm forks on my XR250. The idea is that the smaller diameter end of the PVC adapter will contact the top edges of the PVC pieces.

Ok, we're ready to go. Smack the PVC pieces with the PVC adapter with the 3 foot length of PVC fitted into it. Three or four whacks is all it usually takes.

A couple of lessons learned. Put the dust seal over the fork seal during the seating operation. Also, make sure that the metal washer that fits under the fork seal is in place with the beveled edge of the washer down.

On my XR250 I paid no attention to this washer and couldn't get the seals to seat no matter what. Took the tubes apart and noticed that the beveled edge of the washer needed to be down in order to fit into a recess in the fork.

Later,

Joe

6.) Buy a 1 3/4 inch to 2 3/8 inch PVC adapter and a length of 2 3/8 inch PVC. Cut the latter to about a 3 foot length.

Joe

Did you mean 2" PVC pipe instead of 2 3/8"? As far as I know they don't make either 1 3/4" or 2 3/8" PVC :) 2" PVC has on outside diameter of 2 3/8"... is that what you mean?

Did you mean 2" PVC pipe instead of 2 3/8"? As far as I know they don't make either 1 3/4" or 2 3/8" PVC :) 2" PVC has on outside diameter of 2 3/8"... is that what you mean?

Yeah, that's probably correct. I'm a computer geek by trade and not familiar with the various standard sizes of PVC.

I measured the diameters with a tape measure in the garage and came up with the above numbers.

Later,

Joe

Thanks for the replies. I ended up just using the old fork seal to drive in the new one. After I got the new seal in by slamming the outer tube down onto the inner with the dust seal, old oil seal and new oil seal in place, I cut the old oil seal carefully off. It worked perfectly with no seal divers. I think this is the way to go. The old oil seal is a perfect driver for the new seal, and you don't run the risk of scratching the the inner tube with the driver, or hitting the tube with a hammer. Two good smacks and the new seal was in. I did this on both forks and they are perfect and not leaking.