Sign in to follow this  

2005 Ktm 300mxc

I am in the market for a new bike. I recently sold my CR250 and I am in need of a bike for woods riding. I have a CR125 which I am going to keep for track riding. I am having trouble deciding which bike to choose. MXC's have to special ordered here in Canada so a Dealer Demo day is out of the question. Has anybody ridden one, or know someone that has one? Comments?

I know a couple guys who have 03 300MXC's. They both seem to like them. One guy came off a 550MXC and the other from a 360MXC.

What else are you considering?

Nothing on the 05, but nothing but good things about the 300mxc.

They run real close to a four stroke, but are REAL quick and light too!

This is in comparison to RARELY riding a 2 smoke, so...

Other option was a CRF250......or..........CRF450. The 450 is probably too much bike, or so I have been told......but I am coming off a CR250 and that bike was a powerhouse. I had no problems handling it......it did feel a bit heavy at times but for the most part it was good to go......

I have the 200 MXC and love it. I think the gearing is good for track or trail, but I most ride trails. From what I hear the 300 is more four strokish and in comparison make my 200 seem pipey and to me the 200 has very good lugabity. I hear the 300 can really tracker up stuff and people cant say enough about them. I have also heard the EXC are awesome too. Coming off of a CR you would probably be used to the close ratio tranny. Go over to KTM talk because they will have loads of info for you.

MxJewel,

How tall are you and what is you experience level?

I have a 05 300exc (same bike different gearing as the MXC) which I got after have a 200exc for about 1.5 years.

It is a really nice bike and does tractor up stuff much better than the 200 did. But it is also a physically bigger bike than the 200 so it is harder to ride in the tight stuff.

I have an 04 300mxc... It's a great do all bike. Very friendly power yet wicked fast and very light.. The KTMs come will all the goodies ready to take on everything you throw at it.. A great choice... The 200 is KTMs pride and joy, another amazing bike with no real flaws...

Dan :)

MxJewel,

How tall are you and what is you experience level?

I have a 05 300exc (same bike different gearing as the MXC) which I got after have a 200exc for about 1.5 years.

It is a really nice bike and does tractor up stuff much better than the 200 did. But it is also a physically bigger bike than the 200 so it is harder to ride in the tight stuff.

I am 5'9" and I have been riding for 15 years, track and woods. Even with my height I would "fall off" the CR when I stopped on unlevel ground......put foot down, ground not there......

I tried out a KTM520sx. I took it out a couple times but it was too much bike.

Been told that if I could not handle the 520sx than a CRF450 would be the same..

Feeling stuck in the middle........ :):)

The guys at the Honda dealer offered to bring up a CRF250 and a CRF450 for me to try out here. :p

You want to try my two-hunney? You're welcome to come down and play, since I won't be getting any seat time soon, I'm sure my bike will appreciate someone keeping her warmed up. Shoot me a PM if you want to head south to do some dez riding. Just look out for those round chunks of basalt, they bite.

I am 5'9" and I have been riding for 15 years, track and woods. Even with my height I would "fall off" the CR when I stopped on unlevel ground......put foot down, ground not there......

I tried out a KTM520sx. I took it out a couple times but it was too much bike.

Been told that if I could not handle the 520sx than a CRF450 would be the same..

Feeling stuck in the middle........ :):)

The guys at the Honda dealer offered to bring up a CRF250 and a CRF450 for me to try out here. :p

You have more experience than I do!

I am 5'10" and the 300 fits me pretty well. I just had the suspension done and it is a little taller than it was stock. Can't flat foot it real well anymore, but I need to check the sag and hopefully it will settle a little bit.

I am not partial to 4 bangers in the woods, too heavy for my taste. The 300 is a good compromise in my opinion, I am looking forward to racing mine this enduro season and seeing how it stacks up against my old 200.

Too bad you can't get a test ride on a 300 too.

The 300 mxc is a great bike! I race one in the Desert. On the tight slow stuff they lug great but you may find first gear tall. The 300exc has a lower first gear and a higher fifth gear so you may want to consider it also

If you can find a way to test ride one, I'd be willing to bet you would want one. I ride with a guy who has an '04 and it's possibly one of the coolest bikes I've ever ridden. It does great in tight, single track stuff, and it flat screams when you twist it. It feels light and handles great. Did I mention that it screams?

Great bike, you won't be disappointed.

My husband rides a 300 MXC (though not an '05) and it is wicked fast. I'm a beginner and it's pretty much the only bike I've ever ridden (except for a couple of hours on a CRF250X and WR250F) and even with my limited riding, it was obvious that the KTM is much quicker and much faster.

KTM is over priced. Take the $1000 you save and put into a CRF(x) or WR and it would kill the 300. Just my opinion :)

KTM is over priced. Take the $1000 you save and put into a CRF(x) or WR and it would kill the 300. Just my opinion :)
That statement is cucking frazy. A 300 ktm isn't even in the same league as a crfx or wr 250 let alone a 450. Having ridden a wr 250, a crf 450 and a wr 400, and 426 and 450 and now 2 different 300 's i can easily say that the 300 has way more power than any of those bikes stock or moddified. A heavily modified CRF 450 R might come close to a stock 300. I have heard some complaints that the 04 and 05 300's are down on poer but the 03 and previous years flat out scream. I have ridden 300s back to back with a stock 525 sx and I think the 300 still has the edge on them too.

I am in luck, my dealer has a 300EXC and MXC coming in shortly. Decisions, Decisions.......I might go with the EXC because the MXC has a tall first gear and the EXC would be more suited for the woods.

One bike I did not consider was the CRF250x, I tried one last year and................. :). Its a good bike, It's just not for me.

I have been riding Hondas since 94 and before that, Kawi, Yamaha and Suzuki. The switch to KTM could be a good thing, something different....besides, I can always go back....

It always makes me laugh when I hear people talking about why KTM are more money. The bottom line is that KTMs come with all the bell and whistles stock and you pay for it. If you try and convert your Jap bike and throw on a hydrolic clutch, external rebound adjustments, frame gaurds (not really bling, but does the job), adjustble handlbar postitions, fat bars etc... you will spend more in the end. I think most of the manufacters are making quality bikes today with different strengths and weakness. Take a color and pick. I haven't ridden a 300 but I hear they are awesomes bike!!!!

I am in luck, my dealer has a 300EXC and MXC coming in shortly. Decisions, Decisions.......I might go with the EXC because the MXC has a tall first gear and the EXC would be more suited for the woods.

One bike I did not consider was the CRF250x, I tried one last year and................. :). Its a good bike, It's just not for me.

I have been riding Hondas since 94 and before that, Kawi, Yamaha and Suzuki. The switch to KTM could be a good thing, something different....besides, I can always go back....

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes. I want to hear a ride report. :)

A heavily modified CRF 450 R might come close to a stock 300. ]

Yea, whatever. Talk about Cucking Frazy

Get whatever makes you happy :)

The 300's power is very smooth.Your riding speed average will go way up because of this.Sure there are bikes that have more power and speed and even weight less.But when you look at the hole package the 300 is almost always the winner.The bike is also very forgiving.They are a bike that need's to be ridden smoothly. As for the money aspect the 300 is almost race ready when you receve it from the dealer. The stock seat is hard as a rock.It also needs a pipe guard $105.00 and a front disk guard $92.00 for e-line carbon fiber.You will not regret buying one! Coming off a cr 250 there will be a real learning curve.Just be patice after you get it figured out you to will love it.