Sign in to follow this  

I need to fix up my bike.

Hi, im a newb to tt and i have a problem. I cant afford a new dirtbike. There sooo expensive and my parents dont have credit on there life. I got my first dirtbike about 2 years ago which is a 1993 Xr100. It was rusty and old. I bought it for 700 bucks. I am 5'8 14 M and 170 lbs. Its way to small for me. I feel soo bad. These are the upgrades that ive done. Big gun exhaust system, big gun rev box, sun star front and rear top end sprokets, rk racing chain, Ngk hot plug, uni preformance filter, bbr rear spring, n-style stickers, #28, dunlop matching tire set, ebc rear brakes, and a seat cover. :) My bike hauls balls for an xr100. my parents clocked me at 60 mph. Now, my bike is even smaller for me and i am sooo jelouse of the new bikes. COuld someone please have sympothy for me, and tell me that a small bike is ok? Or that i can do more stuff to it to make it better? or that i shouldent be jelouse. Please someone make me feel better. Sorry for all the complaining. :)

I'm 5'11", and used to haul around quite happily on an XR100, and an XR80. They'd both happily run me through the woods, and up the sides of pit walls. The only times I felt like I was on the wrong bike was trying MX style single tracks or trying to drag race 250 two smokes. With the suspension work you've done, the MX whoops/etc shouldn't be an issue.

In short, I wouldn't knock the 100. 90% of riding fast is rider skill, not the bike. Learn to use it as an extension of yourself, and you'll be amazed at what it'll run with.

wow, thanks, thats a great reply. any more good ones? plus i have a problem. my new shock in the back seems to back a sqeaky noise when i go up and down, like on whoops. it makes that squeaky bed sound. :) i feel so ebarrassed that im flying down some whoops, eee owww eeee owww. Any ideas why?

you said that your mono was new? also maybe shop around like on ebay find something campatable off a bigger bike see if that doesn't help at all. also if it's new it could just be getting broke in. kinda like new engines lose lots of aluminum and have to have oil filters replaced shortly there after. give it a quick look and see if the spring is rubbing some place it shouldn't. but overall it sounds like a you have a very reliable machine maybe stick with it. It seems to treat you pretty good.

if you find a shock that will raise your ride, you also have to consider what it will do to your swing arm. normally the closer the tires are together the harder it will be to control the bike it might not be the best thing to do. also shop around for awhile you never know what you might find on ebay. maybe a swing arm that will bolt up to your bike off a larger one?????

Don't feel bad because you feel your bike is too small. You do have a bike. And it sounds as though you've got it modded out pretty good.

The main thing is, Do you have fun while you're out riding it?

I'm 47 years old. I have been riding off and on since I was 10. I bought a basket case XR 100 for my kids and as a project bike. I ride it more than they do.

Every time I go to my friends house before we ride, he always wants to get on my 96' xr100 and ride around before we actually set out. All I hear about from my riding buddies who have bigger bikes is how much fun my bike is. They fall over in a creek it'll take them 2-3 minutes to get the bike up again me ? Pshh I don't fall, because the bike is so nimble I can just push off a rock and keep myself straight. Keep on riding, soon you'll want to pour your money into a car or truck.

The squeaky noise is the plastic bushings in the shock linkage. Take 'em apart and lube 'em up! you can also get bronze bushings.

Keep your eyes open for a CR85 rolling frame and do a conversion. Having an XR100 is much better than having nothing!

Robert :)

another problem is, not only does my bike look small, it looks like crap too. If some how i could simply install 01-05 plastics on it i could make it look way newer and better. How much different is a 93's frame from a 01-05? Are the plastic holes in the same spot? that would definatly be a better way to make me feel better about my bike. Yes i havea blast with my bike, i just wish the suspension was better and i had newer plastics. :)

I have the same problem with my 1996 xr80. Is there some way to mount a new gas tank with the shrouds on it onto the old frame? Or just a way to mount the shrouds?

Id make it look older.. the '87 side covers are one year only for the white ones and these are the best because it gives you more frame handle when you need it (to pick up the bike with)

move up to a CR125 or XR250 anything 1985 or newer has pro-link and you can find some deals on older ones.

umm, when i out grew my xr 80 i knew what i had to do, bust my @$$ washing dishes for a long time and guess what i got last friday, a used but never raced 2004 yzf250! i worked so hard for it and it felt so good to get. maybe try getting a job? selling your bike? selling something else and get a not bad other bike?