Sign in to follow this  

Purchase advice

Hey gang. My little brother is looking to get an '05 RMZ-250. What he plans to do with it is probably opposite of what most of you do...Trail ride. I would imagine he'd be hummin' along with my dad and I on our DRZs. No racing and rarely ever rapped out on RPMs. Dispite the unusual selection in bikes for trail riding, will this puppy hold up? Is there a better choice? He loves the idea of a light bike. He's new to the game. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Help a brother out :) ,

Dan

Suspension will be a little on the stiff side, but a great choice, they handle very well, and will turn on a dime. great brakes to, very controlable power.

I got my son an 05 kx250f in nov. We race desert and gp's. When we are not racing, we trail ride most every weekend. we went to the desert thanksgiving weekend, i rode the bike on a 50 mile trail ride, it was perfect. My son is very happy, which makes dad happy. Get a big tank, skid plate, hand gaurds and go riding. A little bit of advice, change the oil very often, every other ride, unless its an all day ride. Pro circuit makes a plug kit ( oil filler, timing plug ). get this kit, the small plug on the ignition cover might come loose while riding ( it happened to us ) and you will loose all the oil. Thats my advice, good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been reading the RMZ-250 forum lately and have noticed guys and valve problems. Is this a concern in my brother's case? I doubt he'd me interested in regular, major maintinance. Oil changes and lube are no sweat!

Thanks again :) ,

Dan

people with valve problems are mostly racing. i dont think u should have a problem if u are trail riding. just check them often and use good oil and fuel.

Check the other forums, all the bikes have there share of problems, Todate I have installed 5 cranks in Yamahas, along withseveral cases, hondas like valves also, as well as kawis, none of these bikes are 125 2 strokes, shift up early. and change the oil often, monitor your coolant, and keep air filters clean.

you will only have valve problems if you don't check your clearances often and change your oil. I see it mostly with people that over-rev their bike.

You might want the boyesen high flow water pump and definately run engine ice to keep the temps down in the woods. :)

I really hate saying this...

CRF250X or, if you want to save a few bucks and don't have to get the latest gig, a KLX300.

My .02.

Manny

I was talking to Sunruh (...from the YZF forum), and he was talking to a family at the Texas GNCC race that have been racing the RMZ/KXFs since they came out last year, through this year. And I'll be the first to say, the '04 RMZ had valve problems. But that family was saying that the '05 head is completely different from the '04. The '05 head won't even line up with the '04 cylinder, and they said they were going through a valve a race with their '04 (..this is GNCC, remember). But the '05s so far have been much more reliable.

It's very possible they've fixed the valve problem for '05. If that's the case, the performance of the bike in the woods is top notch. The motor is strong, but very manageable, and the handling is great. Just make sure you've got a good dealer just in case.

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ (for sale)

Awesome guys! Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming! After my dad and I got our DRZs, we're in love with Suzuki! We'd like to keep it in the family. Not to mention the RM's are hot!

Thanks again,

Dan

I personally liked my 04 RMZ-250. Great bike, fast, and was fun to ride. But I have also had the infamous valve problems. Not because of lack of maintenance (i.e. oil changes and valve clearances) as someone else suggested. But I think more along the lines of first year design flaws. Here is a picture of what happens when you have valve failure on an 04 RMZ/KXF

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/bkerns/100_1283.jpg

Although I think the bike is great I had to switch back to a honda...For two reasons.

1. I had to run my bike hard last season to keep up with guys running age group classes since most were on 250 2 smoke/450's

2. Was not about to buy another 1st year bike (RMZ-450)

Although I liked the looks of the RMZ I just couldn't do it. Hope this helps. The 05 is supposed to be a lot better. I haven't heard any negative comments on it yet.

I have an 04 KX250F and a 05 YZF250. (son rides the yzf250, I ride the kx) For a trailriding bike mostly I'd probably opt for the yz. The suspension is much plusher. If you are racing, the kx might be the better choice. I know the RMZ is identical to the KX and a little tip up front....the suspension on the KX\RMZ is going to be harsh for trail riding, especially the forks. The YZ is night and day smoother. The RM\KX (at least my 04 anyway) has a little more punch in the motor department. Either bike would be good and I understand what you say about brand loyalty. If you opt for the RMZ, you'll need to work with the forks to get them anywhere near the yz.