XL 600 Started after 13 years!!

Damn, I couldn't believe that this bike would have started! I was sitting outside Sony's warehouse for 13 straight years w/o being touched, I was used in the tv serise Chips. It only has like 89 mi. ? on that We then, got it and kicked it a few time (ya right few times, i wish took us 2 hours). Then out of a long work out it just went vvrrrooooommm. But I can only start it w/o the decompression. :D Would you believe that I would actually start up, with out doing anything to it except for change the oil and add gas? I thought that the piston would be rusted up or something. M-AZING ? and all the electronics work. ?

You don't use the decompression lever for starting. Only to clear gas from a flooded motor, like after dumping it.

Sure ya do, that's what it's there for. On his bike, there is an automatic decompression mech. so it isn't needed so I guess your right when talking about his bike. On my 650r the auto decomp has been removed. Good luck trying to start that without the lever! That's awesome that it started but really, I'm not too suprised, it is a Honda thumper after all! ???

? Sorry to confuse things man. Nope, you don't want to use it. Just kick her over. There is an automatic decompression mech. in there which realeases enough pressure to start her. If you flood the bike, you can pull in the clutch and the decomp lever and then kick it through 5 times or so so clear out the jug. If you don't like the sound of a good backfire, you can hold the kill button down while doing this. How did you score this thing from CHIPS ?

I am sure we are all wondering about more info..pics? Price? was it actually used in shows? or just around set.

Being 40 and a child of the CHIPS era, I watched many a show. But it always amazed me (Being a CA resident) how the CHP was stopping bank robberies, drug sales, kidnappings etc...hanging at the beach, vollyball...whatever.

And when they did show the freeways, it was always a 12 car pileup which had to include a Limo, Bus, or Semi hitting some enormous hidden jump and flipping like 5 times. But of course nobody ever got hurt as the driver emerged shaking his head "what happened dude?".

Ah good old TV...