Sign in to follow this  

Edelbrock Pumper ...wooo-hooooooo!!!

Got my Edelbrock Pumper carb for my XR4 in the mail this week, and given the total crud weather here in SoCal I spent the day in the garage cleaning up the bike and installing the carb.

I'm impressed, and I haven't even ridden it yet! lol Though the install wasn't quite as easy as someone who wrote "15 minute drop-in" had led me to believe, it was pretty straight forward. I will say that the instructions are fairly poor ...but it's a carburater, not brain surgery.

I did find it impossible to get the carb in between the right side of the frame and the shock as instructed in the directions, but removing the rear brake resevoir and dropping it in from the right side between the frame and barrel worked great. For anyone preparing to install one, I'll also give you these notes:

1. Don't bother removing the subframe, simply unattach the rear brake resevoir and plan to install the carb from the right side as I mentioned above.

2. Also remove the manifold (3x 8mm bolts), you have to do some minor cutting on this anyway, and it makes getting the carb in MUCH easier.

3. Note that you need to replace the throttle cables with the ones provided. They don't actually say this, but you'll find that out once you examine the way they are secured at the carb.

The best part, is that after sitting for nearly 2 months after putting the carb in I managed to start it in less than 20 kicks. I'll give it another try tomorrow, now that I have the idle set better, and there is fuel in the system. I've read I should be able to get it to start much easier than that, but with the stock carb it would still take forever and a day to get it started when it hadn't run in a while. As for how it runs, well, ...I wasn't going to take it up and down the street in the pouring rain, so I just tried the throttle response with it sitting in the open garage; even like that I can notice a huge difference in the throttle. It is very snappy from idle, basically instantaneous. :)

Next week the suspension goes out for tuning and then she'll be ready for Mexico! :)

thanks for the tips. i will be putting mine on in the next few days :)

No problem. If you haven't removed the manifold before, note that you'll want an 8mm open end wrench as it is basically impossible to get a socket head over the bottom bolt. Once loose you can spin it out with your fingers.

Also be sure to put a dab of greese on the o-ring around the manifold/barrel connection to ensure an airtight seal.

Enjoy your new carb! :)

As mentioned in previous threads on this topic, I managed to get mine in without removing the sub-frame or anything else by putting it in from the front left of the bike (as you sit on it looking forward) rather than the right rear.

It takes some twisting and holding your tongue right, but if I could do it this way anyone else should be able to too.

Also - I have not yet dialed it in, but mine seemed to be adjusted way too lean when I first got it. The exhaust headers were glowing orange/red after I finally got it started. If it's hard to start, make sure you fiddle with the red knob (enrichment knob) on top of the carb to enrichen the fuel mixture.

If your bike has always been hard to start when cold, check your valve clearances to make sure they're not too tight, particularly the intakes. You may also want to check your spark plug and replace it if it looks the slightest bit questionable.

When starting the bike cold with the Edelbrock, make sure to initially give the throttle a couple quick full twists to make starting easier. If you twist the throttle slowly, the fuel from the accelerator pump is retrurned to the bowl (by design) and it won't help you start the bike cold. When the bike is warm, all you should have to do is simply kick it over.

Thanks for the heads up. My valves are spot on and there is a brand new plug in it. When the weather clears up a bit I will play with the mixture a bit. The main reason I got the Edelbrock is that my bike was jetted too lean before (even after I jetted to 58/158 and I HATE taking out the carb. lol This way I should be able to adjust it spot on without having to pull it ...I doubt my bike will require one of the different needles to be installed.

Thanks again!

... The main reason I got the Edelbrock is that my bike was jetted too lean before (even after I jetted to 58/158 and I HATE taking out the carb....

I must be missing something. I've rejetted once or twice and never had to take out the carb. :)

Don't get me wrong - I've got the Edelbrock myself. But you don't have to remove the stock carb to rejet.

Yeah, well ...I have really thick fingers and really short patience. I've found I'm much less likely to hurt something/someone if I simply remove the carb. :)

Ok, so I finished getting the Pumper set up and put a clean, freshly oiled filter in the airbox. I've also added 6 of the UNI 1" prefilter air inlets to my airbox to allow it to pull in a little extra air.

She started 1st kick! ...that's NEVER happened beofe when the bike was cold. It idles smooth and pulls from idle like a freight train! ...simply a stunning difference.

...of course now I have a stock carb with the A16A needle and XRs Only aluminum Choke plate sitting in a carboard box! lol

Man, I loved the Edelbrock on my XR400. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. My buddy bought my WR426 but he still liked doing wheelies on the XR after I swapped out the carb.

Ok, so I finished getting the Pumper set up and put a clean, freshly oiled filter in the airbox. I've also added 6 of the UNI 1" prefilter air inlets to my airbox to allow it to pull in a little extra air.

Hey where did you pick up the 6 UNI prefilters?

so zen what gear can the bike pull the front end up in -with out- using the clutch on hardpack ground with the new carb? :)

so zen what gear can the bike pull the front end up in -with out- using the clutch on hardpack ground with the new carb? :)

Mine had the Edelbrock but also had a T4 exhaust which made it pull wheelies in 3rd and 4th if you sat back on the seat. I'm not a wheelie person buy my friend is and he could pull them on fire roads just by doing that.

BTW, if anyone wants some UNI filtered 1" AirVents, I have 2 packs of 5 each (10 total). Just PM me your address and I'll send them out to you (free). I got them back a while for my XR but with the T4, I ended up not needing them and I don't want to open my CRF airbox any more than it already is.

Hey where did you pick up the 6 UNI prefilters?

I grabbed them at my local shop, High Octane, in Thousand Oaks, CA. I think you can get them online through the Thumpertalk store though.

I also grabbed a small UNI filter (I can get the model number tonight) that looked about the size of the hole in the top of my airbox. Oiled it lightly and stuck it on top of my airbox, what do you konw, it fits perfecly over the hole and right between the subframe spars. :) I might make an ABS cage to snap it into place on our FDM machine, but it's pretty secure the way I have it held in at the moment. ...I figure for the amount of restriction it adds, the 1" filters most likely add back (and more), and it's a lot easier to pull and clean than the main filter. I may get some prefilter foam to replace it, but it certainly doesn't seem to be choking the engine.

so zen what gear can the bike pull the front end up in -with out- using the clutch on hardpack ground with the new carb?

I'm not much of a wheelie guy, so I have no idea. I added a tooth-larger front sprocket and it easily pulls the wheel up in first with me sitting forward on the seat. I'm sure if I leaned back and gave it a try 3rd would be no problem, but as I said ...I'm not a wheelie guy. :p ...mainly I'm just stoked that it starts so damned easily now! :)

BTW, if anyone wants some UNI filtered 1" AirVents, I have 2 packs of 5 each (10 total). Just PM me your address and I'll send them out to you (free).

Okay, these are gone. Actually these came in sets of 6 I think after digging through my parts box.

Okay, these are gone. Actually these came in sets of 6 I think after digging through my parts box.

Hey if you run acrosss anymore I'd love some... thanks man