Sign in to follow this  

Are klx650's good bikes??

I'm looking at one locally and it has a full big gun setup. It looks real nice. I don't know much about them. Are they fast, slow, heavy, reliable, do they have an oil filter, can you get parts for them, will they keep up with a drz400?? Just wondering thanks for your help!! It's a 1993 in really good shape!

Well, I don't know about the 93's, but I have a 95. After fiquring out the CDI was going south, it runs great! Mine has a Stroker kit on it complete with WB pipe, KX suspension and wheels, and Team greeen frame mods. Its heavy, but no more than an XR 650. Doesn't seem as top heavy. Just as fast. Starts easily. All Kawie shops have to order everything these days, but parts are just a phone call away to Kawasaki in LA. Will be selling mine real soon. Going to buy a duual sport bike. This bike will make the 400's look/run like 250's. Just my opinion. I think Honda looked these over really well and then made the XR 650's for 2000.

You want a reply? I'll give you a reply :)

Seriously though, I just sold mine a few months ago so I'll tell you what I know.

Weight depends on which model it is, the C model is street so you add the weight of an electric start and a steel swingarm. The R model is lighter, around 320lbs. stock, lighter when you dump the stock exhaust. Powerwise they have plenty in fact they go like h*ll, ideally you get rid of the airbox top and drop in a dynojet kit or if you really want to make it go, add a 41mm fcr carb.

Reliable? No less than any other bike, there is a manual cam chain tensioner mod that is recommended. They do have an oil filter and they hold quite a bit of oil though I don't remember how much, I just remember that it seemed like a lot, like 2.5 or something.

Here are some specs:

http://bikez.com/bike/index.php?bike=3063

Most parts are still available, you can go to buykawasaki.com and use the online scematics to find your part numbers and then plug them in at ronayers.com they always seemed to have the best prices. There are very few aftermarket parts for them, dynojet kits, ceet covers, oversize tank by ims and acerbis, a few aftermarket exhausts, mx rear fender by maier mfg. though you have to use the one for a klx300, it's a bolt on, almost any front fender from a kx.

You didn't mention how much they wanted for the bike, I sold mine for 2500 but it was an R model that was made street legal and I rebuilt it and powder coated the frame, polished the swingarm and did a number of mods to it. I see others selling from 1800 to 2500 usually.

I rode quite a bit of tight forest singletrack with it, the weight really showed then but it is managable if you are used to lots of power and a big bike. It was definitely not for the feint of heart, you really had to commit. The only thing that bugged me was when people told me it was just a hot rodded klr, it's not, almost nothing interchanges, the motor is completely different and the frame is a motocross inspired perimiter frame as opposed to a back bone style. (rant off) :)

There is a yahoo group you can use for much more info and tech help.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KLX650/

Is that enough reply? :p:D

Good luck, ride on,

Tim

I've never switched out the swingarms between a C and an R so I couldn't say definitively but guessing, I would say sure. They use the same bearing number though the swingarm bolt has a different number. I'd try it and if it doesn't fit..... modify it :)

Tim

Sub,

You know zero about KLX's. :)

I can vouch for this guy. My dad bought the above stated KLX and loves it. Too bad he won't get rid of the damn tweety pipe. :) It's everything Tim said it was. I'm trying to figure out how to steal it for myself.

When we picked up the bike you mentioned a cheap Kenda tire. Were they Trackmasters? I need some inexpensive knobs for my KLR. Thanks.

Sorry for the thread hijack if anyone's offended.

Well I'll be selling my 95 KLX650 shortly and its good to se what they are going for now. This stroker preped bike is great, but I'm ready for a change. Just hope the next guy wants the spare set of KX wheels I have for it too. These Ex Team Green bikes came with a lot of spares and tricks to them. Steny

Hey howdy,

I'm glad your dad is enjoying the bike, I still miss it, I loved that bike. I think I sold it to him for 23, not 25 right? You know, I detuned that bike before I sold it, I had an aftermarket exhaust (now on my klx 300) and the dynojet installed, you think it's fast now....you should try it with the mods, yaaaaahooooooooooooo!

The tires are Kenda Trackmaster 2's, highly underrated in my opinion, loads of traction and cheap enough to replace as often as you like. I got one pair from these guys http://store.azmusa.com/kentrakmasii.html and recently I was down at RMC in Renton and found one in their sale room, a rear only 25$ so I picked it up.

The bike that "husky forever" has would be a sweet one, I'd love to set it up for supermoto and suprise a bunch of ktm and honda riders :) .

Tim

I think you sold it for 25, but he took the seat cover. He still hasn't put it on. I liked the GSX-R 1000 pipe you had on there. When I steal it :) I'll put the goodies back on it and see what it can do. At any rate that bike is staying in the family for awhile.

Thanks for the info on the tires. I'll go grab some.

I've been eyeing Husky's bike since he posted it for sale awhile back. Sounds cool. Just need to get it by "the man" up here and street legal it. I do have a buddy in Oregon though that I could borrow it from... :)

I have a 93 KLX650 with dynojet kit, K&N and a Pro-Duro pipe. I love it to bits though i have trouble getting some parts for it. Looking for wheels to fit it at the moment so i can supermoto it! Anyone know of any fitments ie. kx wheels??

Well guys, the KLX is always for sale, but until someone steps up to the plate, I'll keep riding it. Eventually, I'll get another set of street tires for those spare wheels and then really have fun. Just bought a 3.2 IMS clear tank for it. That 5 gallon Acerbis tuna boat was just too big. When it goes,all the spares will go with it too. Just looking for $2K is all. :)

I would jump all over it, but San Diego is a looooooooong way from WA. :) You got any pics of it so I can be even more bummed? :)

No pics, but just imagine KX 250 forks, wheels and tripples, KX 500 shock and swingarm and wheel, Purple Team Green Frame, 3.3 gallon IMS tank, stroker piston, IMS pegs, Super trap pipe and full on race pipe in box, a strong runner. :)