Sign in to follow this  

Zerk fittings for shock linkage

Has anyone installed zerk fittings to grease the linkage on an X?

If so, can we see some pics or details on how it was done. It is tedious job to grease the rear end and zerk fittings would be a great mod.

I have heard of a few guys doing it on other bikes but IMO it is not worth it.

Trying to cross drill the linkage is tedious. The seals used are not the type than can be pressurized with grease without popping out.

To grease the linkage you should take everything out of them and clean it. Then reinstall with fresh grease. Yes, all of the little bearings! I also just did the steering stem. That takes 10-20 min working slow and the axles take like 5 min. It's not a big deal except for the linkage. But that has to be done. It's better to go all the way and not just keep packing new grease in with the old. :)

Very easy task drill out the lower sec of the link parrel of the ground. Buy a grease fitting plus the rite tap, tap away. Install the grease fitting an pump grease.

I figure anything to reduce the pain in the butt figure will help. My XR had zerks and it got greased everyother ride. The old grease would come out as the new went in, just like on an old piece of farm machinery. Had the bike for 15 years and beat it and used it like a jet ski and never needed to replace any of the bearings. Now on the CRF, ive been meaning to tear it all down and grease it for some time now, its just that it's a pain, so it hasn't gotten done.