Sign in to follow this  

South vermont places to ride..

I'm planning on spending the summer with some relatives in Manchester Vermont and will most definatly bring out my (street legal) XR400. I'll be in vermont for a good month or two, are there any suggestions on places to ride or things that are a must to see?

All of my expereince comes from Baja and southern california, so i'll be a bit out of my element.. but i'm really looking forward to trying something knew. The last time i was out there it was 8 degrees, but my relatives ensured me that it was amazing weather in the summer.

Good Luck, let me know if you find anything, my relatives live there too. I've been looking for the last few years for spots. VT=Not friendly to OHRV.

Very tough place to find trails. All the tree huggers in their volvos have just about killed most hope. There are a few ATV trails but they won't let us ride on them. NH is very user friendly and has a bunch of places to ride.

As your bike is street legal you will be able to enjoy the dirt roads and logging trails. I am working on finding more places and will let you know when I do.

I thought we traded Vermont to Canada for a couple of hockey players or something. I know they welcome the snowmobilers in the northern kindom, what's the difference?...two-smokers on snow or a couple of dirt bikes?

Damn hippies

Iceman,

Every where you turn, some snowmobiler is hittin' a tree........god forbid if a trail rider tries to ride on one of "their" trails........I have met a few banjo strummers that ride, but I get nervous with them in them deep dark woods. Oh yes, I pack a high velocity lead dumper.... I'm looking to go to Eagle bridge this year, let me know if your into going also..

magic mtn. ski area has tons of great riding, seeing as you have a plated bike. you can go soooooooooooo many places. you will be very psyched trust me

I have some dual sport loops in northern VT. we ride. Try to do a ride 3rd Sunday every month. Need a plated bike.

Thanks for the awesome replys. I was a little worried that i would be making a mistake leaving cali's desert behind, but i'm always up for an adventure and seeing new places. As the summer approaches and plans become more definate, i'll try and hook up with some of you guys for a ride.

Also, i'm open to riding anywhere in that area even if it means camping over night. Are there any "must see" camping/riding areas within 4-6hrs of vermont i should know about?

magic mtn. ski area has tons of great riding, seeing as you have a plated bike. you can go soooooooooooo many places. you will be very psyched trust me

What should i look for when trying to find places to stage/ride? I know i definatly want to stay off of private property, but i don't know what the general rules are for trail that you can take a plated bike on (fire road? pole line road?) When we ride out here in cali we go by the rule that if it DOESN'T have a "NO MOTORVEHICLE" sign we're good to go, and it usually works out legal that way.

Meangreen - where do you ride? I lived in Lamoile Co. for two years and could only find a place in Eden to ride. I'm moving back this spring for good, probably Franklin Co. I did get to ride Bolton Mtn. once to help break in single track for mtn. bikers.

Dual sport loops start from Long Trail Tavern in Johnson ,avg 120 miles in length ,combo paved/dirt/class4 roads. Bikes must be street legal. Will be riding once a month this summer so we wont wear out our welcome

I used to live just down the road from the Farm & Garden. I might know where you're talking about. My bike is still registered in VT and I have a red plate. Does that make me legal or do I need signals? Thanks

You will need a regular motorcycle plate and inspected. Once you get back here not a problem to get an enduro bike legal.

I'm in Rutland and I ride within about a 50 mile radius, including the Manchester area. Prior to this year, I was riding sport bikes, so purely on the pavement. I'm going supermoto this year so that I can move onto unpaved public roads. There are lots of tree huggers (aka "volvoids") looking for any excuse to get rid of motorcyclists, so sensitivity is in order. As a consequence, I use a good muffler, avoid group rides, and don't publicize my favorite routes. Get a good map, stick to public roads, and I think you'll have plenty to keep you occupied.

Welcome to Vermont and I'll see you out there - mud season should be over in about 6 to 8 weeks.