Sign in to follow this  

SM Conversion - Advice

This will be my 3rd bike that I have converted to SM.

The 1st was in the UK. A DRZ400SY in blue

The 2nd is still around. A KLX400 which, in Australia, is a green DRZ400E. My wife rides this bike to work daily.

The 3rd bike is an 05 DRZ400E with road gear as standard from the factory.

You probably already know that we get this hybrid as standard. A full power E model with all of the road going S bits. This is the one that is being converted. Before anyone jumps in about the DRZ400SM. We won't be getting it here so it wasn't an option.

A have taken SM bits off my old WR and will reuse what I can. I've already had the standard OEM hubs laced to a set of 17" Excel rims and fitted Pirelli Dragons. The Moto-Master 320mm disc swaps from the WR to the DRZ but I need a new caliper adjuster.

Now, here is where I need help. Getting parts in Oz is not so easy. There is little choice locally and there is always a little extra expense so things have to be right.

Where do I get graphics that are not yellow? I'll be fitting the bike with all black plastics if they ever arrive. (UFO rear light has arrived, so has the Acerbis motard fender. I'll be taking the black tank off the wifes bike and she is getting all of the yellow stuff.)

How can I order only the caliper adjuster? Everything seems to come as a kit with new disc etc that I don't need.

Jetting. A race muffler will be going on (Barrett - Aussie made so you won't have heard of it as it's not mass market) and the air box will get the 3x3 treatment. The bike will be run on the street at sea level. There is a myriad of info on this forum about jetting but it lacks focus. There always seems to be one variation or another to confuse a weak mind. Is the 165 / 48 combo the way to go?

Gearing. I reckon that I will go 15 - 45 so that I can keep one chain. Previously I have done 14 - 40 (47 for the dirt) I'll try swapping the front to a 14 when it's off road. Any comments on this idea?

The bars will be a set of silver Renthals that I already have and I've swapped the plastics on my old blue barkbusters to black. AUD$50

The headlamp cowl needs to change colour but black doesn't look like it's available aftermarket. The bike might end up green and black.

I'll be looking for the UFO KTM fork guards. Seems that this mod makes the bike look a bit more the part for an SM.

So, if you can help with any or all of the above I'll be glad to hear from you.

for the calliper bracket keep an eye on ebay. I have seen a couple for sale on the uk ebay site recently. You could also contact racespec as they sell the discs with ot without the brackets.

Iain

Jetting - James Dean jetting kit is the way to go. See the TT shop.

Gearing - You can use the same chain for 15/44, 14/44, 15/47 and 14/47. You coul even manage 15/43. I'm not sure how many links though as I have never counted them, I just lay the new chain next to the old one and remove the extra ones. Anyway it is whatever amount comes standard with a DRZE with 14/47 gearing.

Graphics - Again visit the TT shop, or search the DRZ forum for pics of what is available. The company that make the TT graphics can custom make them in any colour and have been very helpful in the past with overseas shipping.

Thanks Iain.

The rear wheel is going back to the spokeman to have the offset adjusted in order to gain some clearance for the chain. It cost me AU$400 to have my OE hubs laced to existing Excel 17" rims. (That included wheel deconstruction, tyres off, tyres on etc. About 170 quid.) Lots cheaper than buying new wheels from CWC.

Custom graphics or OE black from the UK model seems the only way to get away from yellow.

Not a bad price for getting the wheels rebuilt, by UK standards anyway. If you need somebody to order UK graphics and send them over, give me a shout.

Iain

Thanks for the offer Iain. If you happen to find out where I can get them on-line or how much I would appreciate it.

The front wheel is on so it looks like a dragster at the moment due to the off road rear pitching the bike up at the back. The locally made aftermarket can went on last night and set the dogs barking after I started it up. :)

The offset on the rear should be sorted by the weekend and I've sourced a caliper adjuster from another state. I should get that by Monday.

Can't wait to get it on the road so that I can get past that running in stage. The bike is learner legal here but restricted to buggery. The grand uncorking of power is just a few K's away.

One more question. In the UK you will be getting the DRZ400SM. It looks like they have sorted the issue of speedo calibration for 17" wheels and the flashy S clocks. Does anyone yet know what they did and whether we can do the same?