Sign in to follow this  

Thumb pain

Just finished a 2hr hare and hound and my thumbs are killing me ,my right one really hurts and hurt more so during the race.What the heck am I doing wrong?I hold the bars with a full wrap around type grip. Would a"monkey grip" help?Thats where the thumb would be on top of the bars.

Thats normal. Just put in more ride time and you will be able to ride many days before the inside of your thumbs get sore. :) On steep rocky downhills the thumbs get a lot of load on them to keep your body in position on the bike. :)

99Raptor,

Does your thumb hurt because of blisters, or perhaps way down at the base of the thumb near the wrist. If it is the latter, you may have the beginnings of arthritis in it (and don't laugh...people all ages can get it). For over a year I was in terrible pain at the base of both thumbs while riding...even long trips on street bikes, and when I was doing heavy work on my car or around the house. I finally went to a doctor and got xrays, and he showed me where the linings of the thumb joint were just worn away. Not fun at all.

Cheers,

Mac

You're not alone. Usually about halfway thru a dual sport ride my right thumb starts to feel like it has frost bite, but it happens when it is hot or cold out. My guess is that the long time in that position and the vibration of the bike slows down the circulation of blood to my thumb and makes it ache and feel cold. But hey, I'm no Doctor. Fortunately the pain goes away by the 2nd or 3rd beer after the ride. :)

Danker

Just finished a 2hr hare and hound and my thumbs are killing me ,my right one really hurts and hurt more so during the race.What the heck am I doing wrong?I hold the bars with a full wrap around type grip. Would a"monkey grip" help?Thats where the thumb would be on top of the bars.

I wouldn't recommend thumbs over the bars, ever. You're just asking to go over the bars. How do your gloves fit? They can cut off the circulation to any of your fingers and cause this to happen.

Try not to grip the bars with your fingers so much and so hard. Use your palms to stabilze and brace yourself. It really helps if you keep your elbows up and out. Get some hand squeezers and build up your grip strength.

Good luck.

If thumb blistering is your problem, try grip donuts. They worked great for me.

I have no idea, i have never had any of these problems, i nly get a blister on the knuckle of my thumb if I dont wear gloves, but thats normal. :)

Carpal tunnel???. I've spent most of my life riding & racing & have not had this problem. BUTT!! I've seen many riding buddies have the same knida problem caused by carple tunnell syndrome!!!, my wife does'nt ride, but the problem does'nt change!!. Get it checked out!. :)

You can't hang on with the "monkey grip". I wouldn't even try that. But your thumbs are vulnerable, especially if you hit unexpected sharp edges or rocks at speed. The jolt that comes up thru the bars can make you wish you'd paid more attention.

My thumbs were sore for 6 months after one of those. But it eventually went away. I would get the doc to look at it if the pain is more than just moderate soreness.

I've got pretty sore thumbs this morning. I washed the front out in a fast right hander yesterday, and bailed right before the bike slammed into a couple trees. Both hands were still on the bars, bruising both my thumb knuckles as I made my graceful dismount. All this 5 hours from home.

I ended up taking a Icy Hot stick on pad and cutting it down to thumb sized pads. They lasted for about 3 hours or so. They made a HUGE diffence. In fact, I'm gonna go put some more on right now.

i have had the same problem. it seemed to help in the last race that i was focusing more on getting my elbows out. that seems to spread the contact with the bar across my entire palm. it also seems to help to focus on gripping the seat with my knees more. it really seems to help to just race enduros where i get to relax every now and then, and concentrate on more technical trails intead of just hammering into whoops as hard as possible for 2 hrs straight.

-mark

You're not alone. Usually about halfway thru a dual sport ride my right thumb starts to feel like it has frost bite, but it happens when it is hot or cold out. My guess is that the long time in that position and the vibration of the bike slows down the circulation of blood to my thumb and makes it ache and feel cold. But hey, I'm no Doctor. Fortunately the pain goes away by the 2nd or 3rd beer after the ride. :)

Danker

Alchohol thins the blood just like aspirin does, which would help circulation :)