Sign in to follow this  

Street tire question

Has anyone ever put sportbike style tires on their 18" and 21" wheels. If so, please post pics of them. I trying to see what they would look like.

The reason I ask, is because I came across an extra set of wheels cheap and was planning on putting some cool looking tires on them for the street.

TIA

You are not going to find true sport bike tires in sizes to fit the standard narrow 18 and 21 inch rims. You can find some very good street and street oriented dual sport tires that will work well but may not give you the aggressive look you may want.

Thanks for the reply. Now kinda thinkin about that tera fex type II after reading some reviews. Just wondering about the scrubbing

Take a look at a MAXXIS 6103 120/90/18 rear, I'm about to mount one, as soon as this dunloptrailmax is bald. its a nice looking street tire for DRZ(sport bike style). Those who've been running them on on sport bikes say they are pretty good, especially price wise.

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/Maxxis%20tires/M6103%20Rear.jpg

I'm axcious to see how it does, mainly just looking for more longevity and a little better wet street performance.

The 607 dunlop is a very good street tread 21 inch front, Can't think of the name but cooper tires makes the brand, they also have a full street cruiser tire(sportbike style) that will fit drz front. okay, its AVON link

http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/us/en/Product.asp?ProdType=CruiserTouring

that AM41 comes in the drz 21inch, it will match that Maxxis pretty good

I hear alot people talk about trail wings street performance, it's okay but much better to be had.

Hell yea man thats what I was huntin, let me know how it works and take a picture if you can.

Thanks

I'll update you,

Just some history, I'm running the 607dunlop on the front. I ran the 604, which the 607 has now replaced. But with the 604 I was able to make much more aggressive street cuts versus the trailwing, I put 16,000 miles on that tire. I went with the 607 mainly because of the history success with the 604. I don't see any performance improvement on the 607 versus the 604. In last minute decision I went with the 607 though, but damn near went with that avon am41, and wouldn't have any hesitantcy in doing so next time.

as far as the rear, I've been running the Dunlop trail max, again superior to the bridgestone trailwing on the street, and we've ran about 4 of trailmax's. At one time I was comptemplating installing a GT501 dunlop on the rear, but it was such a heavy tire. This maxxis is actually a pound lighter than the Dunlop trailmax's I'd been running. We''ll install within the week or so, the trail max is approaching bald. I try to get 5 or 6 k out of my rears, but even that has become old, I want more longevity.

I decided to mount that Maxxis 6103 rear today, although the diameter was showing indentical to the the old tire height(new). The new street tire feels slightly lower(even compared to the worn dual sport). I'm extremely picky and can detect anything>Warning<

Normally , when I replace a worn tire the new replacement lifts the rear end, but not in this case. I may have to adjust ride height but only ran about 10 or 15 miles. Tomorrow we''ll test further, and I took pics of the bike , but my camera cable is in storage, I may be able to find. I may have to adjust ride height on this tire, but want to go ride it more for a better evaluation. I need to let the wd40 cure for a little bit>G<

I will say compared to a dual sport tire it's not as shouldered on the sides, I can definitely feel that in cornering.

looks awesome :) Who says you need to go to 17" rims.....I think that looks sweet :)

((What about the stock street legal tires? Why not run those?))

I think they are fine for all intensive purposes. Although I was only able to get about 3500 miles out of the Trailwing rear tire. The Dunlop TrailMAX it's competitor was slightly wider and better grip, and I could get 5 to 6 thousand miles out of them(ran several of them) . But , Ive gone to a full street tread mainly trying to get more longevity. If I don't get satisfaction I'll go back to the Dunlop trailMax on the rear.

The front Trailwing is okay, but there's better street grip to be had. When I went from that tire to a 604d dunlop it was very evident and ran it 16,000 miles. I'm running that tires new sibbling 607d, still debating whether or not the 604 was better, Definitely no obvious improvement with the 607.

I know the 607 will trail ride, that new Maxxis rear will get tested soon.

finally mounted the rear maxxis. Initial run had 37 psi, and I could feel it, but wanted to get the wd40 to set up good before lowering. Even though the tire diameter was showing 36.6, same as old it felt slightly lower in the back for some reason. The tire felt quite different than a shouldered tire, back end felt more like riding a knife edge. But only rode about 15 miles, but intial impression was maybe not that great.

Today , the game was further testing and dropped the pressure to 30psi. The slight different feel in the rear had me crank a full spring turn on ride height. That seemed to really feel better, so headed 15 miles out toward some good Hunting ground. Supposed to be partly cloudy and mid 60's, but drizzle and 50's was the result. Anyway, after the traffic suberbia stuff the lack of movement, kind alike man should have dressed better(slight chill). Then the drizzle began, about the same time getting up to preferable enviornment. A car was in front of me coming into two nice 90 degree elbows, but I held back in trying to keep tame hooliganism. Anyway, about this time I started pushing a little harder and noticed rear braking seemed improved. These beat up roads tend to test tire traction and being drizzle, I'm like HUMMM!

The Chill dissapeared cause now I feel some thrill with the new tire. Started getting more aggressive and performance wise was very good. I had this two mile long stretch dirt road that got oiled down about a week or so ago, we had only ridden it once since that time. However I thought this would be a good time to test it. It starts out with a couple of tight corners, but even though this was a full street tire, I liked it's behaivor. So I punched it up to 90+ on the oil soaked dirt road(very good ). Surprised at how well it did, then I drifted back onto a chip&seal road and went through a creek bed stream and made some more agressive cuts, this set up was really working well. I know it was one pound lighter tire, but either that or the arodynamics, feel slike a horse power boost.

One of them times were intial impression wasn't that great, but after a few miles True delight sets in and the throttle begins to turn.>G<

Only thing to pick at, I'd prefer 1/4ich taller and wider, but performance is good.