Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - ENTER NOW! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

(Magura VS Hebo) hydraulic clutch VS cable clutch

Hello.

I have a 2001 DR-Z 400E which works great. My only problem is the clutch.It is very stiff.

I have read all the past posts about hydraulic clutches and everyone says that the DR-Z has

a very easy to pull clutch, so it doesn't need a hydraulic. Many say that they use 2 fingers to

pull it. I use all the fingers and still it is difficult :)

I oiled the cable and though it did some difference, still no way easy pull.

I guess i need a new cable, but firstly i thought about asking you.

Many people swear about hydraulic clutches (in the wr/yz forum they love hebo) and here

mostly magura. I don't need the hydraulic clutch if a new cable will give me easy pull.

What is your opinion ?

Do you think i should just buy a new cable or should i go hydraulic ?

If you think hudraulic is the way, i would also appreciate if you know any website with parts.

I have gathered many links from the posts but none of them is in Europe and since i live in

Greece, i would prefer it to be in Europe, because i had trouble buying from America in the

past.

Thank you for your time.

I have a Hydro clutch , first off I love the senitivity it provides but as you said the stock drz clutch is good. I think a new cable would fix your problem but if you "WANT" hydro go for it.Give the TT store a call and they will hook it up. :)

You may have an issue in the clutch itself... on the hyd vs. cable clutch issue...my personal pick is, I find the cable clutch is very easy to use, and the hyd is one more thing that may leave you in the boonies stranded... once you get your clutch pull problem resolved, you can get a longer clutch arm (the small leverarm that the cable pulls on) to make the pull even easier if there is still issues... :) Andrew

Thank you both for replying so quickly.

I have a Hydro clutch , first off I love the senitivity it provides but as you said the stock drz clutch is good. I think a new cable would fix your problem but if you "WANT" hydro go for it.Give the TT store a call and they will hook it up. :)

From what i read in past posts the hydraulic and the stock have the same pull, the benefit

of the hydraulic is that it will not degrade in time.

I don't mind that. I don't "WANT" a hydraulic one (although i can play jokes on my friends

cable clutches if i choose one :) ). I just want a clutch that i can pull it as easy as possible.

What model do you have ?

I looked in the tt store and found a "MAGURA HYDRAULIC CLUTCH KIT" for DRZ.

Part-NO 49-544 Price: 250$

Is that the one you have ?

I had read about it yesterday too, but i thought it is not the one because in the posts

people mentioned 180$

Also, did you install it easily ? I read that all you have to do is with a dremel drill a little the

arm and then it installs very easily.

Thank you again.

Looks like current cost is $225. Install is straight forward,, Most of us purchase a second clutch arm,, open up the fitting end (yes a Dremel works great) and use that with the new juice clutch. That way you have the stock arm for a back up, with your stock cable and lever.

Thank you both for replying so quickly.

From what i read in past posts the hydraulic and the stock have the same pull, the benefit

of the hydraulic is that it will not degrade in time.

I don't mind that. I don't "WANT" a hydraulic one (although i can play jokes on my friends

cable clutches if i choose one :) ). I just want a clutch that i can pull it as easy as possible.

What model do you have ?

I looked in the tt store and found a "MAGURA HYDRAULIC CLUTCH KIT" for DRZ.

Part-NO 49-544 Price: 250$

Is that the one you have ?

I had read about it yesterday too, but i thought it is not the one because in the posts

people mentioned 180$

Also, did you install it easily ? I read that all you have to do is with a dremel drill a little the

arm and then it installs very easily.

Thank you again.

I have mangura master with a Billetanium slave It is robust and works great. Pull does not fade , and I find feathering a dream compared to stock. I have tried a hebo unit on a gas gas trials bike and loved it but I don't know if they make one for the drz. I also have tried a full mangura system on a ktm and its also nice. I would find whats most convenient ( cable) and get it fixxed, if down the road your looking to do a mod go for the juice! As far as failure goes I ride with alot of people with hydro clutchs and have yet to see them fail, not that they don't I just haven't wittnessed it. But i have seen alot of cables snap, frey, or stick bad that wouldn't happen with hydro. I think cables are soon to be a thing of the past. :)

Yes , the clutch pull on a DRZ in good condition is so easy, it should be illegal>G<

Either you have something wrong or severly weak hand strength , but IMO a hydraulic clutch on a drz in comparison to stock, I doubt there's much feel difference with both functioning well.

Yes , the clutch pull on a DRZ in good condition is so easy, it should be illegal>G<

Either you have something wrong or severly weak hand strength , but IMO a hydraulic clutch on a drz in comparison to stock, I doubt there's much feel difference with both functioning well.

Guesses are great,, but how about some reality :) as I own both

In perfect condition the DRZ has a good clean clutch pull.. As things wear and get dirty,,, it goes down hill quickly. You can mitigate that by maintaining the cable....

The Juice clutch is the same pull day one, though the end of the season,, no adjustments needed during the ride as things heat and cool... just clutch and go.

It is not the first mod I would do on the DRZ :D nor the second, 3rd-----------15th :) As you can easily keep the cable in good shape,, and the during ride adjustments can be handled with ease. As time and $$ allowed,, with other mods done,, yes, I would (did) upgrade to a juice clutch :p

I am not john rambo but i don't think i have so weak strength either. That's why i asked about

the clutch.

I am browsing/printing the tt store catalog, so i can decide what to get. I thought that if i buy

a hydraulic clutch i should buy other things too :)

Tomorrow (it is 21:00 now in Greece), i will contact a friend of mine who is suzuki dealer to ask about prices, although

most of the time i order from internet because greek dealers have very high prices.

I hope my father doesn't throw me out of the house when he sees what i will buy :)

bronco78, can you tell me, if it is not too much trouble for you, what mods do you have ?

Thank you all for replying.

bronco78, can you tell me, if it is not too much trouble for you, what mods do you have ?

Thank you all for replying.

You know not the evil you ask

:)

Assuming your of sound mind, leagal age, sign here X______________________ in promise to hold M&M Racing free and clear of any financial destitute you might encounter.. You are free to go here garage.gifand view the modifications to my DRZ

<Assuming your of sound mind, leagal age, sign here X______________________ in promise to hold M&M Racing free and clear of any financial destitute you might encounter..>

I didn't understand.

My english is not very good.

He was just joking with you. Are you sure you want to see EVERYTHING he's done? You will likely be envious and want to spend ALOT of money!

:)

<Assuming your of sound mind, leagal age, sign here X______________________ in promise to hold M&M Racing free and clear of any financial destitute you might encounter..>

I didn't understand.

My english is not very good.

He's saying that if you do all the mods he's done, your gonna go broke :):p

DOnt just go by what the TT store shows on line. it's no secret that the online cataloge is a joke at best. you need to call them to see whats availible. :)

Thank you again all for replying.

I will try the hydraulic after all.

I have made a list of things (hydro clutch,jt steel front/rear sprockets,speed bleeders,filters,d.i.d or regina x-ring chain,handguards,etc) and i will buy them from tt soon. Rockymountainmc has cheaper prices, but i guess it is good for the community that i buy

from tt.

I want to ask you some things more (i hope the last i ask :) )

Firstly, i want to buy a replacement level in case it breaks because from what i read i cannot

use a universal one.

In the "replacement parts" section of the magura clutch there are :

a) Lever with plunger 49-942 $27.98

:) Sunline Replacement Lever 14-649 $16.95

Which one is it ? I guess it is the second, but i don't know what plunger means and i ask to

be sure.

Secondly, As some people mentioned,i want to get a second clutch arm and not drill the stock. I could not find one in the tt store catalogs. Do you know if i can buy it from the tt or

from anywhere else ?

Is it bike specific or universal ?

Thank you once more.

Stock clutch is almost good. I was check few Magura hydr. clutches in KTM Husqwarna and Husaberg but I have strange feeling that Magura will be the same like stock. I will check this soon we see.

This is the Magura lever, just like what comes in the box, The "plunger" is the adjuster they come with for setting the distance from the bars the lever sits while at rest.

:) Sunline Replacement Lever 14-649 $16.95

This is an aftermarket lever that fits, is cheaper,, but does not have the adjuster. So the lever at rest is not adjustable for reach.

The clutch lever is specific to each bike,, so not something you'll get for an aftermarket source. It will come from a dealer. Local to you, or mail order like this

Part Number: 23271-20902

Description: ARM,CLUTCH RELE

Price: $14.63

This is the Magura lever, just like what comes in the box, The "plunger" is the adjuster they come with for setting the distance from the bars the lever sits while at rest.

The clutch lever is specific to each bike,, so not something you'll get for an aftermarket source. It will come from a dealer. Local to you, or mail order like this

Part Number: 23271-20902

Description: ARM,CLUTCH RELE

Price: $14.63

Thank you once again bronco for your valluable information.

I guess i will buy the "lever with plunger" then.

Where you say "the clutch level is specific" etc i guess you mean "the clutch

arm" because you speak for the clutch arm.

I am now emailing the tt store to see which stuff is on stock because i have

read that not all of the things in catalog exist. I am very excited :) that i will

put all these things to my drz

Thank you all for your valuable information.

I will post my experience when the products come and i put them on.

Thank you once again bronco for your valluable information.

I guess i will buy the "lever with plunger" then.

Where you say "the clutch level is specific" etc i guess you mean "the clutch

arm" because you speak for the clutch arm.

Yes clutch release arm,,sorry about the confusion.

I am now emailing the tt store to see which stuff is on stock because i have

read that not all of the things in catalog exist. I am very excited :) that i will

put all these things to my drz

The other way around,, they have every thing in the catalog AND a lot more that is not If it's in the online catalog,, and still available for the supplier, they can get it...If there is something you want not in the catalog ask...as the store has access to many more parts and items then what is on line for viewing.

Thank you all for your valuable information.

I will post my experience when the products come and i put them on.

Just a $.02 worth reply but when I first got my used 2000E I also was dissapointed with the clutch feel especially as I was used to a ktm 200exc.

Big bucks ($100?) for me but I broke down and bought an Oberg Sports perch assembly and a new cable. Made a phenominal improvement over the chintzy OEM unit. Amazing how something seemingly so small like that can have such a big impact on your riding especially if you do a lot of tight, rocky stuff. Lots of other quality replacements out there also. :)

Just a $.02 worth reply but when I first got my used 2000E I also was dissapointed with the clutch feel especially as I was used to a ktm 200exc.
All about keeping the cable lubed. The stock setup works fine and is super easy if its kept lubed properly and replaced when needed. Just unhook both ends and see if it moves freely. If it sticks and fights then lube it by working some grease in both ends. If it still sucks replace it.