Sign in to follow this  

Should I pre-order the SM?

Here is what Im thinking. I can drop a few hundre and get the SM when the crate comes in but Ill have to pay MSRP. Or I can (if you guys thinks its wise) wait and see what the sell for in other areas, Im willing to drive a few hundred miles. OR I can find a NOS KLX/DRZ and just roll with that. What do you think? Will the SM disappear quickly or will they flop (Im hoping they flop)?

I think they will be gone as fast as they hit the floor. Our dealer is taking pre-orders on the 4 SM's they are getting and there is one left, and it is yellow. Probly that one gone by now too.

If you want an SM, I'd pre-order. Especially if you want the Black one :) . Or are you going to ride dirt and street? It's alot of fun building one................two sets of wheels............customized vs. stock............. :) You'll have to decide.

I don't think the new SM's are going to "flop", so if that's what you want, go get one! :p

sorry to hi jack a little, but does the SM have the same engine as the S? or will it be as quick as a stock E? I guess acceleration will be a little better with the smaller wheels/tires, huh?

Yes it does have the same engine, If they came stock with an extra 10 or 15 horse power, that'd be great. I'm very happy with my DP bike, it just needs 10 or 15 horses off the floor, I'd have no reason to buy anything else.

but They are going to have to do the same mods with the supermoto, as the DP s model.

I hear the SM will be in the dealer that I work at sometime in March, I would put some money down on one if I were you!!! :)

Yes it does have the same engine

.....just wonderin if my E was gonna hang with 'em when they start floodin' the streets around here

Eddie, you still doing the 671 blower and Nitrous mod on the DRZ? :)

Didn't you have something up your sleeve...........?

No doubt Eddie the DRZ you built is one basa$$ bike. I've owned some hot bikes in my years this is by far the fastest single I've ever rode. It literally tries jerking the bars from your hands. I have a 15 tooth for it I just can't make myself gear the animal up any. It's still faster than any stock S is and has so much torque I just lean back some in 5th and it's pawing the clouds. You sure do build a great motor bro. prairiedawg :D:D:):):p:o

I don't think the new SM's are going to "flop", so if that's what you want, go get one! :)

I'm real curious to see how successful this is in the States as well...

The "Cruiser" crowd aint gonna be interested...

Not sure if the "Sportbike" boyz will be interested or not...

We know alot of the people here are but this is a biased group...

Being a dirbike guy I've never really had much interest in this SM thing...

I think it's a bit of a fad...Not sure if it's gonna really go mainstream or not...

But if the "coolness" factor starts to come into play and maybe they start

getting featured in alot of current action movies they might just make a hit. :)

As is usually the case with any new model hitting the streets, the first batch on the showroom floor will go fast ....BUT.... the second batch won't be far behind. As a sportbike rider of over 30years, I am looking forward to the release of the new SM.

Even amongst the dedicated Honda Die-hards, as I Am, there is alot of talk about the release of the SM.

As I hit the big 50 this year, I love the look of the Black color and happy to see Suzuki offer a color other than the putrid yellow that they are known for.

The SM will make me a fun-to-ride, fuel efficient, fun-to-ride, commuter, curb jumping, traffic beater, fun-to-ride bike for everyday use. Did I mention that it will be fun to ride and commute daily on ??

When riding distances over 50 miles, my CBR1100XX Super BlackBird will get me there quickly and comfortably but dealing with the city traffic commutes, the DRZ will do the trick nicely.

I will not be fooled into spending large amounts of money that is not neccessary just to have one of the first SM's to hit the showroom floor.

You can bet that a 30 day wait will save you at least 5 to 700 dollars easily, if not more. My money is more important to me than a lack of patience.

If you look historically, you will see dealers discounting new models shortly after the initial devue. A savings of 10-15 % is common place, but the question is......Can you wait the 30-60 days ?????? I can and will.

That just allow's me to do the upgrades I want to do immediately rather than wait till I can afford them later on.

Looking forward to the release but will own a tricked out one a short time after the initial release to dealers.

I find it hard to believe I will own and ride daily a Suzi after many years of dedicated and trouble free fun on nothing but Honda's. But then some people say with age comes wisdom !!

Actually, I am really only 20 years old, but just have 30years experience at being 20 !

Thanks for the replies guys. Let me offer something for consideration.

A dealer in PA has a 2003 KLX400SR with 350 miles that he will sell for 3899.

The SM is 6099.

There are only two things that draw me towards the SM more than the SR and they are the RM250 forks and the black plastic, the wheels alittle but no matter which one I go with Ill need a second set of wheels. Are the RM forks worth the $2200?

What do you think I should do? :)

i cany wait till one pulls up on prairiedawg when hes riding his............
Ya that will be a story for PD to tell for sure. I think I am gonna enjoy smoking the masses of stock SMs too. :D Disasterpiece motor arrives tomorrow. Can't wait to get back on the road in DRZ450SMK trim! :)

If you can plate one..... Get a DRZ E or Kicker or KLX R and build it into an SM and plate it. Thats what I would do if I were you.

Nate's costs so far for the "big" SM items :

$250 Veypor Spedo

$260 RM Forks

$260 fork springs / work

$360 21.5 offset TAG clamps

$900 Wheels (Talons with BEHR rims)

$500 MM Race Brake

$100 stainless lines

$50 CRF rear master cylinder etc.

$169 Maxxis tires

So if you do some good shopping and pick up the right deals on ebay etc. you can build one for about the same price as the new SM and you will still have an extra set of dirt wheels and have all the fancy high end components. :p

My list is above and beyond a bit I guess. Just an example though of what I paid for all those things. :)

Vepor Speedo...Wow...Very nice but hope you add the $85 aluminum case

for it if you're gonna use it off-road...