Sign in to follow this  

2000 TTR 225 Carb Help

My friend has a 2000 TTR 225 that has been sitting for a few years. I installed fresh gas ,cleaned out the carb and but in a new spark plug. The bike finally started and it ran pretty good(it has very low hours on the bike).

The next few times i started the bike it took a while to get it started when the bike was cold(but it was not that cold out, i live in AZ and the temp has been in the 50's and 60's). So i took the carb off again removed the mixture screw cap and set the screw to 2 1/2 turns out, cleaned and oiled the air filter and the bike started up on the first try :)

Then after ridding it for about 30 min. to 1 hour the bike would just die at idle. It would start right up but would not idle. So i got it started and took off. Then the bike would stay running and then act up again after a little bit more ridding.Is it possible for the mixture screw to vibrate loose while ridding? What is the correct float adjustment?So i took the bike back home and started to play around with the mixture screw again and it would not get a smooth idle anymore. It would just serge. I need to know how to fix this. The main jet is a 130 ,pilot jet is 40 ,and the jet under the slider cap is a 60. I really don't want to but different jets in the bike , it should not need them to make it run like it did from the factory. I'm not looking to make this bike faster just want it to run normally.

Also can the valves be adjusted on the bike and if so how. And also the clutch is a little funny. Whet is the proper way to adjust the clutch. I have been out of the dirtbike loop for quit some time now.

Any and all help would be great.

sorry for the very long post

Thanks,

cookiemonster[MoA]

CookieMonster,

The TTR's are notoriously cold blooded, even at 85-90 degrees, they are cold blooded and hard to start,

It sounds like youhave done things right, as far as your adjustments to the mixture screw, I have not heard of the screw vibrating loose,

I would recommend going with a 132.5 main jet, this will definately help with the cold bloodedness, even from the factory the bikes are hard starting,

I would also recommend opening up the air box, agin, they are choked up from the factory to meet emision standards,,,,

The Valves on the bike can be adjusted, I have not done this and would recommend that you take the money and put into having the local shop do this, (IMO)

IMO,I would set the carb back to stock settings and then put in a new larger jet, and see how this helps, (i bet it will make a noticable difference)

Then, if you want, open up the air box,

let me know if any of this helps, and feel free to PM me,

Chem

chemfrk,

First off thx for the reply.

I totly understand that thay are cold blooded. But what im realy looking to find out is how come after i ride the bike for a little while it just dies while sitting at idle? I cant remember what the factory setting was on the mixture screw. I normally would of wrote that down but i totly forgot ,LOL SO do you know how many turns out was it set to?

ThumpItGood,

Yes i cleaned and oiled the air filter. I did but that in my orignal post thow, But thx for the post

cookiemonster[MoA]

Well, to idle it needs air/fuel/spark; all at the correct time and amount.

First; is the idle speed set too low? (just asking)

Second; How did you clean the carb: after sitting for years I would say a complete disassembly and rebuild is in order.

Third; are you sure you are getting a good spark? Maybe there is some corrosion up in the cap or ignition connections.

Lastly if it sat in a humid enviroment its possible the cylinder or valves rusted up and you are having low compression but I think it would take some serious neglect for that.

My best guess is the carb needs a thorough cleaning.

The idle seems to be at a god speed.

I completly took the carb apart. Cleand everything and made shure no passage ways were clogged. The mixture screw o'ring looked good and was not try rotted and same for the flote seat.

Well the spark plug is new and i put a spark tester on the spark plug wire and the spark looked strong.

Well since i live in AZ i dont think humidity is a problum here :)

Do you know the correct abount turns the mixture screw should be at??

Thx for the reply