Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning riding gear.......

Not wanting to sound sexist or step on any toes, but I figured this could be answered by one of the ladies a lot easier. I would be less likely to get an answer of "Pour beer on it" or soemthing like that. :) I had a freind that passed away 1 year ago and just bought his riding gear from his wife. It has been sitting in a damp environment for ???? long. What would be the best thing to use to get the musty smell out of the helmet? It was worn 3 times before he passed and it's a nice $200.00+ helmet so I don't want to trash it or the boots or goggles. All are the same way AS Tech 6 boots worn 3 times, Oakly goggles, never worn etc. Please help!!! Thanks in advance for any you can provide.

Ok I am a guy but for things like that try to dry it out firts. Such as let it sit out side on a nice day in the sun so the breeze can get through it. It could be mold so with it in the sun a drying out it can be killed off blown out. Then what I have done is used a spray bottle of watered down simple green. Spray it on and wipe out what you can. If you can take the inserts of the helmet out wash them with simple green. When they are good and clean use some fabreeze or something close to it. Recomended would be the pet deoderizer type sprays. They seem to be a bit stronger. Then let it sit out in the open for awhile again to dry and smooth out the smell. I have done this with a lot stuff we have at my job that have sat the same way.

Thanks for both of your inputs. I let it sit out all day yesterday and air out some, I will let it sit out some and go from there.

Try a liberal amount of Febreeze in the boots before letting them air out for the day. As far as the helmet? If the liner comes out....take it out and soak it in simple dish detergent for a little while. Sounds odd....but a plungger makes a great thing for swishing the water and suds around. Then, rince....swish, rince, swish until all the suds are out.....hang parts to dry somewhere warm....like in front of the heater....but not in the dryer.

Febreeze is not good to breathe.....so I don't reccommend it for helmets.

Also....to keep boots smelling "spring time" fresh....put a dryer sheet in each boot before you put them back in your gear bag.

peace,

janette

THORINA....you ever been in the military....lol. I do the dryer sheet trick with my work boots after being in and on a helicopter all day..lol works pretty good :)

I have naturally smelly feet. :) I wear snow boots all winter and steel toed shoes or boots most of the summer.....and in between....cheap stinky tennis shoes. I *love* dryer sheets!

No, wasn't in the service....Air Force brat....my knees kept me out of the Army. :p But you'd swear my tennis shoes suffer from jungle rot in the summer. :)

peace,

janette

remove the liners and throw them in the washer, tumble dry on low heat...been doing it on my helmets for .... a really long time.

My condolences. I think it's harder on the ones who get left behind.

ps: He'd probably be happy someone gets to use the gear.

Febreeze is not good to breathe.....so I don't reccommend it for helmets.

peace,

janette

Febreeze, oh oh. I "soak" the hubby's gear with that, including the helmet lining....... :) We keep Febreeze in our gear bags for those weekend riding trips......His kneepads would be mistaken for a weapon of mass destruction without the stuff......

HAHAHA yeah gear can out of control when it comes to smell. after a good days riding i am told by my wife to keep that shnit outside...lol my son on the other hand still has that kid no stink sweat for some reason...lol