Sign in to follow this  

05 CRF450r 13/50 Ironman rear HOW MANY LINKS for a DID x-ring?? Please help!!

I need a quick answer on how many links I need for a 13 front and 50 rear. The rear is an Ironman and the front is stock. I am buying a DID x-ring today and want the exact number of links so I don't have to mess with it. I have an 05 CRF450r and I like the wheelbase either mid or short but not long. I know someone out there must have this answer because I see a lot of this combination on this board. Thanks for you help. J.C.

Best way to do it is to get a 120 link chain and cut where you need it to fit. I kn this is a PITA, but its the BEST way to do it WITHOUT 1) being to short 2) screwing up your chain on someone else's miscount.

HTH

Ian

Chains aren't sold in the exact number of links you need, you need to get a 120 link and break it to fit. If you're going to pay a dealer to do that, he'll know how to make it the proper length. If you can't fit the chain yourself, the world of racing 4 strokes is going to be a very expensive one for you.

I think I removed 3 or so on mine, but the best way to do it is to put the sprockets on the bike, set your wheel base to where you like it, note how many links it is and cut from there. Just be sure you cut the right link, cause once you cut it, THERE AIN'T NO GOING BACK! Oh, and to answer your next question, just grind off one of the pins with a dremel or file, then use a punch to push the roller through. Do this and you won't need a chain breaker. :)

Actually, if you grind the tops off the rivets on the link you want to seperate you can pry it right off with a screwdriver.

Just order a 120 length chain like cprems stated. Set your wheel in the middle of the adjusters and then if you want to go up or down one tooth you can still use the same chain.