Sign in to follow this  

Downsizing?

About a year ago, I bought a brand new '04 WR450. It's my first bike since my old XL600 dual sport I had about 10 years ago. As soon as I started riding the first trail on my WR, I thought that I might be a little over my head with a bike that big and powerful. I bought the bigger bike thinking that it would be something that I could grow into but now I'm having second thoughts.

About a year and 300 miles later, I'm thinking I might downsize to the WR250. My riding buddy has a CRF250 and we trade bikes on occasion. It's really refreshing to ride a bike I can throw around rather than dealing with a 250 lb trail whale. His CRF250 seems to have almost as much power as my WR450 (uncorked) but it's just delivered smoother.

I'm a pretty big boy so I'm a little leery of trading in on a smaller bike - I'm about 6' / 270lbs. I'm sure that I'd have to do some suspension setup on a WR250 to handle my fat butt. :)

How does a WR250 (uncorked) compare to a CRF250 in terms of power? By riding my friend's unmodified CRF250 am I getting a good feel of a typical 250 four stroke powerplant?

Does anyone have any other thoughts about this?

You're in Washington, so you're riding woods right? Your only problem with the WR250 would be if you came down to the high-desert. It would be a sad sight for you to try a hill-climb in the sand. But if you like the race bike so much, why don't you get a race bike. The CRF250 is only a top-end bike unless you were riding an 05. In 05 they improved the bottom-end and the torque. But the YZ250F has been the same bike ever since 03. It was improved in 05, but that still let it feel like the same bike (Just a little faster). The YZ already has the beefed up suspension for your needs, already is uncorked, and has even more power than that little CRF250 you rode. Trust me, once you get off a YZ250F and get on a CRF250 the Honda feels weak, small, and like it isn't connected to the ground. The WR250 can be made to feel just like a YZ power wise and with a little suspension help and a race pipe. But then you have about 25 extra pounds to carry around and an e-start. It just matters if a e-start is worth that much weight to you. Also, I forgot the bikes that were made for you ... the KTM 200/250EXC. Yeah, I know that they are 2-smokes, but they weigh about 215 pounds and when you compare the 200 to a 250f you get a close match, but the 250EXC would be the best for you. Power to rip appart any 250f while still being lighter than a WR and with all the off-road goodies. Oh, did I mention a semi-soft hit? You don't have to uncork them. The 250EXC might start getting into the power area of your WR450, but it is 40 pounds lighter and feels even lighter than that. Make sure that you get the 2-smoke EXC's because the 4-stroke 250 is a dog. Dirt Bike magazine quoted it "The 4-stroke KTM 250EXC is too slow to get out of it's own way" Consider yourself lucky... you have more options than most of us have in a life time.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I'm in Washington and am only interested in woodsy trails. I've ridden in the sand a few times and don't like it that much. There are a couple of tracks in the area that I go to sometimes for practice, but most of my riding time is between the trees and in the mud.

Before I bought my WR, I was looking at the YZF450 but was sold on the wide ratio tranny and e-start (I love pushing buttons)...I'm ok with a little extra weight for the little gray "on" button.

I didn't even think about the KTM's and looking at those is a really good thought. Those are great bikes but I think they're a little out of my price range. Plus I am in love with 4 strokes. But there's a KTM dealer not far from where I live so I'll take a look at them.

Had a yz250f sold it for a wr250f. Sold the wr to go back to the yz. No question go with the yz250f. But for a 270lb guy I would for sure give a yz450f a try before I wrote a check. The wide ratio and the button both were a negative. They start plenty easy and in the woods I like a close ratio and they still have plenty of top end. Just my opinion.