Vor ignition

Hi,

my Vor stopped at the lights today, and i couldn't start it again. I got it home and did a few checks. It's getting petrol, but there's no spark. I changed the spark plug and still no spark. I took the flywheel cover off and the wiring seems fine through to the spark plug. The fly wheel is turning and theres no movement so that seems fine. I rang my Vor mechanic and he reckons its the ignition behind the flywheel. He also said it's about $350! Anyone think this is right? And if it is could i get the part cheaper anywhere?

thanks Steve.

What year and model VOR ???...

The non estart bikes use a dry SEM system that occassionaly will take a crap if over heated....and some just up and die

The estart bikes use a wet ( oil bath) Ducati system....a little more ?:D??:D reliable ( the oil bath helps even out temp and decreases over heating)...

Either way....electrical components are infested with dormant gremlins that may decide to wake up and do their evil deeds.....sometimes this stuff just goes bad....

What year and model VOR ???...

The non estart bikes use a dry SEM system that occassionaly will take a crap if over heated....and some just up and die

The estart bikes use a wet ( oil bath) Ducati system....a little more ?:D:D?? reliable ( the oil bath helps even out temp and decreases over heating)...

Either way....electrical components are infested with dormant gremlins that may decide to wake up and do their evil deeds.....sometimes this stuff just goes bad....

It's a 2000 sm503, and it is a dry SEM system, Kick start only.

Any idea where i'd get a new one? The dealer in Ireland is a rip off merchant so i'm looking to import the part.

Thanks Steve.

Ireland is a big place, try another dealer or give the impoter a call. the suppliers of that part have doubled the price of it so it is pricey ? good news is there will be a retrofit unit available with on fly dual curve soon.

Sounds like your stator may have given up the ghost. VROOM is correct, that part has doubled in price over the last year or two. The biggest enemy of the SEM dry ignition is moisture, if you can keep it dry it will last a long time. Some units I have seen died after getting wet just once. I loosen the cover after every wet ride or washing to allow the water to escape. I have also seen failures when guys try to do backyard wiring cross wire the system ?

Back in the 60s and 70s when I was actively racing ( that kind of dates me, now doesnt it).....we would modify our bikes by adding a vent to the ignition cover for just this reason....so any moisture could vent/evaporate to atmosphere rather than collect and damage the electrics.....

:o????:D:D

I tried Dan at Motoexotica, but he just said he'd none in stock and told me to try a Husaberg dealer...

Behind the ignition cover was dry, but my mechanic said that the stator is crap, and he's seen loads of blown ones.

I emailed every dealer in Italy and got one reply to tell me he didnt sell parts..

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Steve.

Please dont take me wrong here ,, vor is an unbelieveble motorcycle to drive and it has bloody powerfull , thats when its running every other time it does what to do , Shits its self, ive had screaming 125s lasting longer , do your self a favour a burn the bastard , it will give you nothing but nightmares , buy a honda , less pain

• 1 month later...

Yep, sorted it, took off the coil and the HT lead was broke...

It's road legal... :naughty::naughty: Kind of...

Regularly seen shooting into Tara st. Fire Station...

insurance is 900 euro but that was after i licked some girls ass big time in Carole Nashe, she got it down from 1500.

It's a lot of maintainance, but im in the fire service so i have time to look after it.