Sign in to follow this  

MRI Results on left knee. Advice?

In 1990 I trashed my left knee playing soccer in college. This was the first time I jacked it up. It would heal up and about once every 3 years or so I would f it up again. I finally decided to have an MRI last Saturday. I just got the results. Results from :

Chronic complete ACL tear

Bucket handle tear of the menial meniscus.

I am pretty much under the assumption I will be having some sort of surgery. I guess I have been living with it for sometime. I have kept it liveable by exercising about 4 days a week. From what I have heard the better shape you are in will drastically effect your recovery time. Any info will be helpful.

I can only speak of the menicus repair. My doctor encouraged leg exercises before surgery to help with recovery. I assume that if you ride and do leg exercises that you are already ahead of the curve. Keep up the exercise. Did he mention doing leg lifts where you lie on your back, the good knee is bent and then lift the bad leg up about 12 inches. You might try these before and after the knife. Above all, follow the recovery process.

Basiclly that tendon stabilzes you from twisting movements. You can live and play/work without it. But you do have the risk of injuring your knee really bad.

I'd get it repaired.

That's exactly what I did to my knee. It waited about a year to get it fixed because the first doctor said it was fine.

Get it fixed or you'll just keep messing it up. My knee is completely normal again except for some minor pain here and there but I feel that every where anyway.

Pretty simple surgery now and you'll be riding again in a few months. You sound like you will but post care and rehab is crucial to a good knee in the future.

I have 2 months before I meet the doctor. (Baylor College of Medicine) So I will use this time wisely getting the muscles in shape. I have been riding the road bike 15-20 miles and doing leg extensionshamstring curls. I have read this canwill help with a speedier recovery. Anything else I should be doing?

I have been working the legs out pretty hard for the last 4 months thinking maybe the pain would go away. When it didn't improve to my expectations, MRI was ordered.

Gumby, they tell me age is a big factor in whether they fix it or not. I 34. Will see what the doc says.

I have a blown MCL and LCL in my left knee and just recently a 3rd degree tear in my right ACL. I'm probably going to get the right ACL repaired but the left knee I'm not. When I ride I wear a good quality brace on my left and now I'm going to wear one on my right also. If it's just your ACL I woulf get it fixed if your athletically active. Your knee will wear out quick and be really unstable if not. You need to look into some braces as well.

I had the exact same injury to my right knee about 25 years ago. My doctor performed orthoscopic surgury to remove the damaged meniscus. Never really gave me a problem throughout my youth, played high school football, raced motocross with no real problems other than the occasional "pop and swell". If it has been a while since your injury, you may also have developed arthritis in your knee which will have to be scraped out. I just had a second surgury done on my knee about 2 years ago. Since my first surgury I had developed really bad arthritis caused by my knee rubbing bone on bone (due to the lack of the meniscus). They performed what they call a "high tibial ostyotimy" which is where they cut my shin bone almost in half just below my knee, insert a wedge and four screws in effort to place more of my weight to the outside of my knee where some cartilage remains. This is a surgury that I would willing to bet...you don't want. Make sure your doctor takes out only the damaged part of the meniscus, and not the whole thing and you can probably avoid the next level of surgury later in life. Good luck