YZF 426 starting problem

hi,

i bought a yzf426 2001 last wednesday, started it on wednesday for 5 min,thursday 5min,and saturday started it to go out on just about to pull off and stalled, and cannot start it since ,all 3 times it took about 10 kicks. ?

The bike has been stood for about a month prior to buying it and is in immaculate condition and been well looked after,do you think ive fouled the plug,or could carb need cleaning

any help would be appreciated

J ?

thanks for your replies guys, will my bike be the same or similar to us spec as far as the internals go?

Also the guy i bought the bike off seemed to start it quite easily is there a knack of straiting with the 426,the system Ive used is as follows.

fuel on

choke on

2-3 twists of throttle(half turns)

Pull decompression lever

kick over a few times until minimal resistance is found

kick again just under half kick

return and release comp lever

full hard kick

is this right?

also when Ive washed out the air filter what sort of lubricant do i spray on it

is D 40 OK.

J ?

sldietz is right......no gas! I have recently had problems starting my '01 YZ426. Had it at the track and found myself changing the plug......one kick later I was riding! You can check the amount of spark by pulling the plug, plugging it back into the sparkplug wire then hold about a 1/4 of an inch away from the engine block (anywhere there is metal), then slowly turn the engine over. A fouled plug will have minimal spark whereas a new one will be obviously different....stronger. Be careful though, DO NOT TOUCH THE PLUG WHEN DOING THIS!!!! You will get shocked. Hold the sparkplug wire instead.

Try to keep a spare CF8E NGK available and tools. Good luck!

when i go to start mine i never give it gas like the others were saying.

turn the gas on

pull out the choke

pull in the decomp lever

quarter kick down

let up on kickstarter & decomp lever

then kick it

my bike usually starts in one or two kicks, i have never had to pull the decomp lever in and then kick it over until it wasnt as tough

i would try a new plug for sure and get new gas and u should be good to go

You guys don't quite have the starting routine as slick as it could be. Yz426em is risking hitting TDC while kicking, which will mean the bike won't start and it may kick you back. Harmless, but an avoidable annoyance.

Cold:

1. Pull choke.

2. Kick through to Top Dead Centre (ie - the resistance point).

3. Pull decompression lever and kick one inch past TDC.

4. Return kick start lever to top of stroke.

5. Give a full kick to the bottom of the stroke.

Hot:

1. Use hot start if bike has been dropped, otherwise you probably won't need it.

2 - 5 as above.

No throttle - ever. If you do think you may have flooded it and normal hot start routine won't start it, pull the hot start button and decomp lever and kick it through half a dozen times with the kill switch depressed. Then go through normal hot start routine.

sldietz is right......no gas! I have recently had problems starting my '01 YZ426. Had it at the track and found myself changing the plug......one kick later I was riding! You can check the amount of spark by pulling the plug, plugging it back into the sparkplug wire then hold about a 1/4 of an inch away from the engine block (anywhere there is metal), then slowly turn the engine over. A fouled plug will have minimal spark whereas a new one will be obviously different....stronger. Be careful though, DO NOT TOUCH THE PLUG WHEN DOING THIS!!!! You will get shocked. Hold the sparkplug wire instead.

Try to keep a spare CF8E NGK available and tools. Good luck!

? I had a Honda moment there.....CR8E is the correct plug.

My apologies.

Actually if ur bike has been sitting for a while (more 2-3 days) it would be safe to give er a little throttle just to get a squirt of gas.. That's what I have done since it was new in 2001... Never fouled a plug doing that routine yet.. Oh, besides maybe 2-3 times......

Buck-y-lee is absolutely correct about the starting procedure.

Cold:

1. Pull choke.

2. Kick through to Top Dead Centre (ie - the resistance point).

3. Pull decompression lever and kick one inch past TDC.

4. Return kick start lever to top of stroke.

5. Give a full kick to the bottom of the stroke.

Don't even put your hand on the throttle for fear of wanting to twist as you kick. 426 is very tempermental about flooding. One thing I do in addition is when it's been sitting, I pull the decompression lever, hold it as I kick it over (just going thru the motions) about 5-6 times then start the process up top. Fires up every time on 1st or 2nd attempt. ?

? thanks for your replies guys i feel very welcome on my first visit to TTC.

Any way down to the problem, i changed the plug this afternoon it was oiled up big time, put in new one and it started first kick couldn't believe it ? took it out for a blast what a bike so much low down torque especially pulling away in high gear i am going to enjoy it for sure, coming from 2stroke 125 and trails bikes the power difference is aw some and I'm going to build myself up slowly as i haven't ridden now for a couple of years, once again thanx to all for your help.

J ?