Sign in to follow this  

clicking noise in first gear xr 70

i recently got an 99 xr70 and some of my friends were riding it and the chain came off and wrapped around the cog. we goot it unwrapped and tryed to ride it again and now there is a clicking noise in first gear, i opened up both sides the the engine and i cant seem to find anything wrong.????

I had the exact same thing happen to mine! I picked up a beat 99 XR70 too and re-did the whole thing. I finally get it started and I get the same clicking noise JUST in first gear!!

It doesn't seem to affect it, but it sounds pretty bad - ya shift and it all goes away! Does your do the same thing? I have no idea if the previous owner threw a chain or not - but it clicks!

Let me know what you find - I'm sure I will be doing the same job as you. I plan to pull the right cover soon and split the case if I have to.

Is it difficult to change out a first gear? Are there any other mods i could do while I am in there? I have never split the case before. Thanks!

my 05 crf 50 does it in first gear too. 2nd and 3rd work and sound perfect. the first gear still works fine except for the clicking. Will this hurt anything? :)

yeah 2nd and 3rd work fine, and they are easy to shift to. i opend up the right side but nothing looks wrong. im gonna split the case soon and try and find some replacement parts for whatever is broken.

My 200 did that in 3rd, I took it apart and two teeth were missing. So if that's what it is, you can granade the whole thing if those teeth end up in the bearings in the crank or even it can or will take out the other gear on the other shaft, which would have more teeth and metal shavings floating around.

sweet that sounds realy good for the engine. i better split the case and check thoes gears then

do you have to get a 70 profesionaly split???

If you have to ask... :)