Boots?

Can someone recommend good offroad boots that won't break the bank?

My brother-in-law was wearing MX boots when he took a tumble a couple months ago. He got hurt, but not nearly as bad as if he hadn't been wearing the boots! So now I'm convinced I need some.

For that matter, what about youth boots for my son? (9 years old)

Thanks!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought Thor T-30's they seem kinda stiff at first but once they start getting worn in they are awesome. Also, I believe they give you more confidence, because you don't have to be paranoid about hitting your foot on a rock or something and breaking a bone.

IDK about other boots but the only thing i dislike about the Thors is that the buckles are kinda hard to adjust and the buckles will cut your fingers if your not careful. ?

You can't go wrong with Alpinestar MX-8s. They're expensive, but worth the money, and this is a place you don't really want to skimp. I consider my boots an investment, as they should last me a good few years. You should also check out the 6s. They don't offer as much protection, but cost less.

I bought Thor T-30's they seem kinda stiff at first but once they start getting worn in they are awesome. Also, I believe they give you more confidence, because you don't have to be paranoid about hitting your foot on a rock or something and breaking a bone.

IDK about other boots but the only thing i dislike about the Thors is that the buckles are kinda hard to adjust and the buckles will cut your fingers if your not careful. ?

I have been using T-30's with lug soles for the past year due to the amount of time I spend helping my kids push their bikes out of holes, up hills, and the amount of time I spend building trails. They have worked very well for what I have been using them for but they have not held up very well. I lost one buckle, one permanently attached strap is pulling loose from the boot, one screw pulled out of the toe steel, and there are 4-5 tears in the softer material on the outside of the boots (all in a year). I'll be purchasing a good pair of boots again and I'll be saving these for the days that I know will be mainly trail building work parties.

I wear the Alpinestar Trials boot (No Stop Model) I found them "on sale" online, but they were still more expensive than any other boot I looked at. I couldn't decide between 3 different brands, so I did the only sensible thing a NON-MARRIED man can do... I bought all 3 sets! ? But after a few weeks, the Alpinestars became my favorite. I have three seasons on them and the stitching is starting to wear out in the upper boot as my boots rub the frame a lot. I can get them fixed easy enough.

Bottom line: They are expensive but they are the most comfortable and they broke in easily and correctly. There were some other reasons they were better, but that was mostly related to Trials. You will most likely buy the other models, but I can speak for the brand. ?

My second choice turned out to be the AXO boots. But I don't have enough time with them to say how well they will last or if the buckles will hold up or not. Again, that was the Trials version.

Don't skimp on boots!! I learned the hard way.. 6 weeks into riding my first bike, I laid myself up for 2 weeks with a severely smashed shin.

I bought a pair or SIDI Flex Force at the website below and wouldn't trade them for anything else ?. The SIDI do seem to run narrow, which is good for me cause I've got skinny legs. They are at closeout prices and the sizes that are left are small so they might fit your son.

http://www.motonation.com/usedboots2.htm

I just bought my 12 year old son a pair of Alpine Stars Tech 6 after he out grew his Thor T130s. The Thors held up well for the year that he wore them and still have some life left in them ?, but he says he likes the Tech 6 better (probably just because he knows they cost more and they match his gear.) We ride almost every weekend so it's not like they sat in a corner most of the time.

Hey 2PLY, I've seen the "No Stop", what's the difference between a "trials" boot and an MX boot? Thx.

The Trials Boot is more flexible especially around the ankles for better foot peg control, lighter and has a very grippy sole so that when a rider has to use the foot, he will not slip and therefore only lose one penalty point instead of more. And they are comfortable to walk in.. Trials riders do a lot of walking while checking out the sections before riding. And I do a lot of trail clearing work too.

If you do a lot of trail riding and find you need to use your feet alot for getting around, these would be perfect. but if you ride fast on groomed trails, like to slide your foot on the ground flat-track style or tend to bounce off trees and things, then these might not have quite enough shin protection and too much grip.

The sole has to be tough to handle the movement on the sharp foot pegs but soft enough to grip in water. Also, there is no heel on the sole so that you can easily stand anywhere you want and be able to slip your foot forward for the brake or shifter without the heel getting in the way. If you've ever ridden a Trials bike, first thing (besides the no-seat) you will notice is that the shifter is about 3 inches out in front of your toe... So that you will not accidently shift when you are busy on the pegs. Clicking into neutral on a steep climb is NO FUN!

On the Alpinestar Trials version, the sole is molded to the boot with no stitching or seam showing. This also gives a smaller foot print to the boot for the same size foot and more water proof

I think you can see what I mean in this photo:

g2195.jpg

Comes in White too.... I guess if you wear a cape and fly, you might want the white ones.. ??

i4751.jpg

There ya go... more info than you ever wanted.. oh well.. ? No, I don't sell them..

Thanks 2PLY! That wasn't more than I wanted to know...

Trying to decide if Thors would suffice since I'm on a budget, but want SOME sort of protection. Better than nothing I guess.

RE: White boots/cape... My bro-in-law got RED Tech 6's 'cause that's what the shop had. Might not have looked too bad if he had a Honda, but he has a Kaw, so I'd pick on him about his "Red Cinderella Boots". ? Now that they've saved his bacon, I'm not picking on him any more... ?

RE: Hitting neutral going uphill... Been there, yeah, that stinks! ?

Thanks!

RE: White boots/cape... My bro-in-law got RED Tech 6's 'cause that's what the shop had. Might not have looked too bad if he had a Honda, but he has a Kaw, so I'd pick on him about his "Red Cinderella Boots". :D .......

:o?? With the white boots and the right cape and outfit (with rhinestones of course), the right guy could do the Fat Elvis impersonation thing.. Now THERE'S an image for ya! :D

Oh yes, if you hurry, these boots are "On Sale" for $261.99 !! ? Such a deal! ?

Boot Page

Hmmmm... I see they have the Thor Quadrant and T-30 boots for $130.. is that a good price for those?

Get the best you can afford. I regret skimping on boots.

Had a pair of MRS world tours ($120 range).

Got in a head on with an a$$quad racing his buddy in to a blind

turn on a tight 2 way trail. My peg crushed my foot, had to have 2 surgeries.

Was laid up for 4 months so I had time to shop. Got some Tech 8s with a

couple rides on them, looked new to me, on ebay for $160.

The tech series, 6 & 8, have a internal steel shank around the toebox.

I'm almost positive my injuries would have been mitigated with them on.

Maybe enough to have kept on riding that day. Bike took no damage.

I think they are going for $250 new, if you can afford it get them, or

try ebay for a slightly used pair. Hit & miss finding your size and a good pair.

If you ride on busy trails or push your limits I would not get anything less.

I regret skimping on my first pair of boots.

All i wear is a pair of steel toe work boots and jeans, sometimes riding pants and white tee, no big deal. Im not parinoid!! ?

My wife just bought me a pair of Thor Quadrant boots. I haven't rode with them yet but they appear to be well made. My son has a pair of Fox tracker boots in my size that I have worn and the Thor's seem better quality. I would love to have the Tech 8's but I also need a lot of other equipment and I am on a bit of a budget too.

Dave

Thanks for the replies and especially the links. I think I may go for the T30s since people who have them seem to like them and they're closer to my price range. They've gotta be better than the Rockport boots (shoes) I wear now!

I've got T30's and they are way to narrow for my fat foot. So I decided to get another pair. I did try on the Thor quadrants not too long ago and they felt much better. But I decided on O'neal Hardware boots and I love them. If you are set on the Thors, try the quadrants for the same price they are a better boot IMHO.

I'm kinda old school & I like the Bottem line Thor boots, (mostly leather!!). Depending on sales??, 120 to 150 dollars?. Lot,s of mink oil in the oven on warm for a hour or so & they break in right away. decent protection,(& you can actually walk or hike around while wereing them!!!. ?

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of my friends and myself are wearing Oxtar.

I wear the Oxtar Pro's with the removable inner sole, just like the Alpinestar Tech 8.

In terms of cost they retail around US$230, I paid S$390

One thing I learned, do not leave your boots out in the sun to dry for prolonged periods (especially if your are near the sun like me at 1 degree north latittude). The sun causes the plastic to go hard and crack, and the lifetime of the boot is very much shortened.