Sign in to follow this  

Check out this scam, he trying to pull one me.

I have my KX 250 for sale and this is a reply I got from this guy.

Hello Steve Bennett ,

Thanks for the mail , the price is okay by my client

and i am ready to purchase from you immediately, i

will offer you 4300$ for the 2004 KX250- Team Green Offroad .and i want you to delete

the ad from the website,i have a reputable shipper that will take care of

shipping from your endi want to let you know i have an associate in thestate

that is oweing me a sum of $10,000 i will instruct him to issue you a check

on my behalf and as soon as cheque arrives, you hold out your amount and send

the difference to my shipper who will come for the pick up in your place, i

hope i can trust you for my balance? and also you will be contacting my

shipper with all neccesary information needed for pick up in your place i.e

the actual weight and exact dimension of the 2004 KX250- Team Green Offroad

,Kindly se nd

all this requested

NAME ON CHEQUE :.................

ADDRESS:........ ............

CITY:........ .....................

STATE:................

ZIPCODE:....................

PHONE NUMBER#;.................

MOBILE;..................

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON

THANKS.

I saw this same thing here on TT about a laptop (a thread about scams), it's almost idendtical. So be warned!!!!

Absolute attempted larceny, and a fairly old trick by now. He's depending on you to hand him your bike and a check for $5700. His check will bounce, and you'll be you know where with less than adequate equipment.

You should forward that and any contact info you have about it to the FBI.

I thinks it's crazy that people would even go for something like that. I only had one email to him and that was to say that it was already sold!!!

Yep they tried this scam on me last year when I was selling my xr650l. they sent a check for $7600.00 and I was supposed to send them the excess. yeah I called the FBI and they said you could cash the check but ultimately when you sign it you are saying that the check is good. So even if the check turns up later and I mean years and years and it comes up fraudulant you are ultimately responsible to pay back the money to the bank.

To this day I still have the check they sent me as a reminder.

Oh.... I also called the bank to where the check was drawn and gave them the account number and the amount. The bank said it was a fraudulant check.

SO SELLERS BEWARE!!!! ( I SAY CASH OR NOTHING )

This is very common now on ebay. They try this for any item that sells for around $2,000 and probably try hundreds of items a day. There are so many naive people on ebay that if just one in 1000 tries works, they win. It usually is people from other countries doing this and your chances of catching them or getting your money back it zero. Just use common sense and if it sounds fishy stay away.

i just read on the wr450/yz450 forum about a month ago or so that one of our tters fell for it signed his bike away and sent it to the thiefs and some money also. if its to good to be true it usually is, they got the same stuff going on , on craigs list a bay area listing site to sell all kinds of items

I called the FBI and they said you could cash the check but ultimately when you sign it you are saying that the check is good. So even if the check turns up later and I mean years and years and it comes up fraudulant you are ultimately responsible to pay back the money to the bank.

Don't quite understand. If the check is a fake, how can someone cash it? If you deposit the check and wait for it to clear, wouldn't that eliminate the risk?

Lets say the guy gives me a check for the 10 grand, I go down to the bank and cash it, crate up the bike and send it off with the guys 5700$ balance, a week later my bank says that it was a bad check. Now all I have is the 4300$ I kept, which now I have to give back to the bank along with the another 5700$. I quess if you held his money long enough to make sure that your bank verifies it's legit you might be allright. I'm sure this is illegal in some sort of way, cashing a third party check and sending cash and merch. out of the country, if nothing else it would be a good way to launder money.

Goto www.roadracers.org and check out the scam the scammer thread under the general section. The "Victim" has turned the table and is now jerking the scammers chain...

This is one of the funniest things I have ever read...

Goto www.roadracers.org and check out the scam the scammer thread under the general section. The "Victim" has turned the table and is now jerking the scammers chain...

aww man, thats classic :p:):)

every1 needs 2 read this!!!

I am so suprised with all of the publicity that these scams have had, especially on TT, that anyone could fall for it.

This is Hilarious. Scam the Scammer

I tried this awhile back. I got the guy to Fedex me the check, which I have pinned to my wall as a souvenier. THey know when you sign for the check and then they will begin emailing the crap out of you telling you to hurry and cash it and western union them the change.

I started stringing him along with excuse after excuse trying to get him to send me $20 because. He finally figured it out and quit emailing me. IT was fun though!!!

MY ADVICE TO fellow TT'ers.....

Hey guys don't bother reporting these types of scams to the FBI or any other agency, there isn't much that can be done, the one mentioned in this thread is an old Nigerian scam., I'm in Law Enforcment & I have talked to alot of different State & Federal agencies about these things. Best advice is simply "Seller Beware" instead of the old buyer beware... You can also check out http://www.419eater.com/

You can learn about alot of scams here & learn some tricks to scam the scammers.. if you don't have time for playing with the scammers at least check out the Trophy Room.. it's hilarious. You see most of the Nigerians can't read or speak english... You'll understand what I mean when you look at the trophy room.

And I'm no expert at all on this stuff.. just learning as I go.

I think I will try that.

Just got a variation of some scam message the other day.

Seems this fella has $14,000,000 he needs to get out of his country

quick, and of course, he thought of me first.

I am scheduled to recieve 30%. That will buy a few spare bikes.

Wish me luck !