Sign in to follow this  

2004 CRF250R wont kickstart

When it comes to working on a 4stroke I am lost. Still stuck in the 2 stroke world but I love riding 4 strokes. So I need some HELP with my bike. The bike wont start when I try to kick start it. It feels like when the kickstarter gets down to about half compression it does not have enough left to turn the bike over and start it. I can push the bike and pop the clutch and it starts. After I let it run and it warms up it will start but when its set for about 20 mins it wont start again unless I push it off.I am also having problems with it idling until it gets warmed up.Any help on what this could be and where I would need to start would be greatly appreciated. Note,I haven't tried to change the plug yet. To me that just didn't sound like a bad plug.....HELP.... I hope I made enough sense to where you guys could understand it.

I haven't done checked them yet. I have only had it for about a month. I have rode it 6 times I think, just on trails but I have rode it pretty hard. I bought it from a cycle shop and they had put a new top end in it before they sold it. It has ran perfect until now.I change the oil after everyride and the filter every other.

I fueled around with the idle after I jump started it but it still won't start. If I idled it up very high it would idle MOST of the time but still wouldn't kickstart.

Check your valves. It's easy to do. There's a sticky on this forum that shows

how to do it. Taking the gas tank off is more than 1/2 the work.

That definatley sounds like a valve clearence problem to me. I would check the valves before you ride it again. It does not sound like a carberation problem to me. :):)