Sign in to follow this  

Gearing

To all who ride the 525 MX's and SX's in the woods what gearing are you running? I just picked up an '04 525 MXC and for the gnarly trials I am thinking of 13X51 or 52. The rear is my real concern. I need to figure out what to run there, then when I go to the dez I can just slap on the 14 up front. :)

13x52 is probubly the combo, it puts 1st about 18 to 1 which is workable if your carb ir right and you have confidence to let the engine lug tru the tricky stuff. Bigger that 52 gets into lower chain guide problems, some go to 53 and I think you have to start slotting holes etc. less than 13 in the front is a nightmare of chain, chain pad & sprocket wear

For myself i say the gearbox is to fast geared. I changed my 525 SX ´04 to a complete exc gearbox. I´ve been on single trails and my ktm sx 450 ´03 (same gearbox as ´04) still did 15 km/h in first gear on idle with the 13/52 Kit.

For me that was much to fast to do good. But there was really bad clutch use nessecary.

I´m not sure, but is the first gear of the mxc gearbox us also 16:32 ??? Possibly it is already the same as exc, but i thought only in eu ???

Ferrari

The MXC gear box is the same as 1-4 of SX

All 4th gears are the same

EXC is a lot lower in 1& 2, a little lower in 3rd, same in 4th quite a bit taller in 5th & 6th than MXC.