Sign in to follow this  

bike suggestions?

Ok, I've been trying to resolve this issue for some time, and I've done alot of research. I'm trying to decide which bike is going to maximize my fun factor, give me the best speed, least amout of hassles, etc. I'm basically a novice racer and an intermediate rider, although I've been riding most of my life. I'm 36, weigh 155 pounds, and I'm 6' tall. Currently I'm riding a '99 YZ400F. I just joined a motocross club and I'm going to race in the vet beginner class, as well as I'm going to race some off-road races, also in the vet beginner class. I think the only way to really know what bike is going to achieve all my goals is to buy one, try it for a season, try another one, etc...but I want to try to get it right the first time.

I really enjoy the YZ400F, although the weight, the engine braking, and the maintenance intervals bother me. I'm looking at an '03 or newer CRF450R or an '03 or newer YZ250. Lately, people have pointed me towards a YZ250F. With the 2-stroke, I like the fact there is no engine braking, the weight is low, and the maintenance is cheap and easy. What scares me is the powerband is going to be too much for me to handle as a novice racer, both mx and off road. I like the thumpers for the power and ability to just roll the throttle on and not have to be shifting all the time, but they are heavier, more expensive, and require more diligent maintenance and cost of operation than a 2-stroke. Then if I do go with a thumper, would a 250f be better than a 450f for my particular situation due to less power to have to manage at my skill level? Any ideas or things that I'm not seeing?

If your going from a 400 to a 250F you will fall in love with how light the 250F feels. I myself made this switch, and it feels almost as light as a two-stroke when your riding it coming off that big beast of a 400. Reliability for this bike is spot-on, by FAR the most reliable bike in its class and this is not a bias opinion just because I have one.

Its an awesome bike for MX and off-road and the power delivery is great, it wont tire you out like some other bikes. Going into corners the front end can feel a little top-heavy, although the bike handles like a dream. I would highly suggest the YZ250F. I can promise you you'd neer look back. Oh, and just to let you know, the new '05 YZ450F feels kind of like a big-bore YZ426F. Think you can handle that? If so, go the 450 route and you'd be fine.

Doug

The CRF450 is what I'm thinking would be best. If you get down to Southern Idaho and into the high-desert, the 65+mph top speed of the YZ250F will bother you as it does me in SoCal. Also, you might want to take a look at the KTM 300MXC 2-stroke. It only weighs about 220 while the CRF450 weighs about 235. Not only that, but the KTM comes with a quiet pipe and a headlight. The two put out about the same power, but the KTM is a little bit more of a lugger and has most of it's power in the middle of the RPMs instead of up top while the CRF450 is mostly mid to top. It just matters what you want.

my 400f doesn't feel like it has too much power, but that's not saying i use all of it by any means. the 260 pounds of girth that girl carries around probably tames that power down a bit as well. I can see how a 250F would be a really fun bike, and quite possibly the perfect size for my ability and the tight summer mx track at my local the club. the winter track at the club has a big hill and is more of a 450 track, but there have been plent of vet racers win on 250f's. I'm not trying to win anything, i just want the best bike for me and the bike that is going to allow me to beat my buddy! :) (he also rides a '99 yz400f)

Ok, I've been trying to resolve this issue for some time, and I've done alot of research. I'm trying to decide which bike is going to maximize my fun factor, give me the best speed, least amout of hassles, etc. I'm basically a novice racer and an intermediate rider, although I've been riding most of my life. I'm 36, weigh 155 pounds, and I'm 6' tall. Currently I'm riding a '99 YZ400F. I just joined a motocross club and I'm going to race in the vet beginner class, as well as I'm going to race some off-road races, also in the vet beginner class. I think the only way to really know what bike is going to achieve all my goals is to buy one, try it for a season, try another one, etc...but I want to try to get it right the first time.

I really enjoy the YZ400F, although the weight, the engine braking, and the maintenance intervals bother me. I'm looking at an '03 or newer CRF450R or an '03 or newer YZ250. Lately, people have pointed me towards a YZ250F. With the 2-stroke, I like the fact there is no engine braking, the weight is low, and the maintenance is cheap and easy. What scares me is the powerband is going to be too much for me to handle as a novice racer, both mx and off road. I like the thumpers for the power and ability to just roll the throttle on and not have to be shifting all the time, but they are heavier, more expensive, and require more diligent maintenance and cost of operation than a 2-stroke. Then if I do go with a thumper, would a 250f be better than a 450f for my particular situation due to less power to have to manage at my skill level? Any ideas or things that I'm not seeing?

don't sweat the dreaded "power band" on a YZ. the power is very controlable. so much so that they make a fabulous woods bike right out of the crate. if you have any doubts, snag a ride on one. they're everywhere.

i've never met a current or former YZ 250 owner who did not love their bike.