Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X vs WR450F

Has anybody had the chance to ride and compare the CRF and the WR? If so please advise, as I am trying to decide which one I want.

Thanks

The 450X isn't even released yet and won't be available until sometime in April. If you search for "Al Youngwerth" here on TT, you'll get a little insight of the CRF450X since he got a chance to ride one and I'm sure he's also been on a WR450F.

I am in the same boat about the X and WR, I actually emailed Jimmy Lewis from Dirtrider and asked him about these 2 bikes. What I couldnt believe he emailed back :) and said

(You gave me no information to make the decision for you. Other than trail

riding and the bikes are equal.

The Honda is ready to ride off the dealer floor. The Yamaha takes some

tinkering.

Honda lighter, more bottom end, better suspension

Yamaha more durable (proven) available now, less

expensive. Way better than the 426.)

That was the exact email he sent back, the thing about the WR426, it was my last bike. I am leaning more toward the X, just my opinion :) Roost on!!

in the lates dirt rider magazine in mr know it all, a man emailed in and said he just finished riding his knew crf450x. he said he liked it for the first ten minutes but after that it felt like a 300 pound pig. just what i read. :)

in the lates dirt rider magazine in mr know it all, a man emailed in and said he just finished riding his knew crf450x. he said he liked it for the first ten minutes but after that it felt like a 300 pound pig. just what i read. :)

How could he say this when nobody has got them yet :) ??? I havent heard from anybody here that has gotten one yet, they all said late March or April, and I am sure they would be on here telling all about it and how it works or doesnt work.

THere are a couple here for test write ups, but none for dealer sales yet. I have a feeling that the bone stock CRX will be virtually silent and will be in need of some exhaust work to be truely rideable. But thats just my opinion too..

I find it interesting that none of the reviews have made a coment about the weight. Dirt Rider always puts the bikes on their "certified scale" in every test. Even in this months issue the KTM's and the Husawhatchamacallit have very specfic weights spelled out. The Honda seems to have avoided the scales, hummmmmmmmmmmm.......

Jeesh, the guy said he was excited READING about the 450X for 10 min until he read the claimed weight. He never came close to mentioning that he rode one.

As for the scale question, I guess they advertise so much that they won't get weighed, huh. No one really did a complete test on one yet, they were only able to ride one. Why don't you just wait until they do. That is unless you are one of the "conspiracy theory- Honda gets better reviews than my bike, so they must be lying" people.

If you go to Yamaha's and Honda's websites you will fingd that they are both about 249 lbs. I am also trying to decide between the two and have thrown in a KTM 525 MXC (249 lbs also) as all I do is desert. Right now I am leaning towards the X but it is pricey as is the orange pumpkin.

T-Diddy

I thing when you find the true actual weights, you will find the KTM and Honda about the same and the WR about 10 lb more.

The weight listed on the Honda spec page is DRY weight. That means no fluids of any kind, tranny oil, engine oil, fork and shock oil. When you add all the fluids I think you will find the weight ready to ride - no fuel to be higher than all of the other bikes. One of the early reviews from Cycle News listed the specs in detail, 250 dry and 282 curb (all fluids) weight. I'm not bashing Honda, I'll ditch my KTM 300E in a heart beat if it is anywhere close to the KTM 450 four stroke weight. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope all the weight hype is just that, hype and that it is in line with all the other 450's.

Personally I'm happy with my Husqvarna right now (after spending some cash on a new carb). I understand they have got their dealers/parts sorted in the US now so it's a more realistic alternative.

In the Uk I get parts next day delivery and excellent advice when needed, direct from the importer.

On the YZF choice, I'd wait until '06 when (hopefully) they will get the alloy frame and a serious makeover.

WR much more affordable, bullet proof engine, simple free mods make it faster, weight is in the ball park of other enduro bikes.

CRF much more expensive, engine requires extra maintenance at each ride (checking oil), again weight is an issue.

KTM same price range as the CRF, much better parts stock, again weight is an issue.

All of the above are going to be similar in power. Weight is consistent across the line. The only real issue will come down to cost and reliability. If I were going to spend a lot of money, I would buy a KTM. If I were on a budget and wanted an extremely reliable bike, I would buy the WR.

John

Around here the prices for the KTM have been going down---finally. This summer a friend of mine was quoted $6700 OTD (tax, setup, title fee) for an 04 525exc. Another friend bought one from the same dealer for $6875 OTD and the dealer put the street legal equipment on and plated it for him.

I guess another thing to consider is neither the WR nor the CRF is a 510cc bike. Torque is cool.

Also I very unscientifically bathroom scaled my MXC with about a gallon of gas and came up with a little over 260 pounds. RR.

On the 2nd and 3rd of Febrary Dit Rider magazine had their 24 hr enduro shoot out in Gorman California. The results will be in the May edition. I know guys who where there and all the bikes were weighed. The Husaberg crew were really pumped as their bike came in with the lowest weight. If I remember correctly it was Husaberg then KTM and Honda and Yamaha were exactly the same weight. The spread between KTM and HONDA and Yamaha was six pounds. As anyone who really rides these things will know six pounds is nothing, out on the trail it will be meaningless. It seems that a few pounds difference only comes into play with the guys who want to talk the talk not the guys who will take any one of these high quality machines into the woods and make them rip up the trails.

I agree with Red, I am not worried about a few extra lbs on my bike and the X still sounds better for what I want, I would like to look at the Husky or the KTM but I dont know where the closest dealer even is :) I just traded of my big BMW road bike for a Gold Wing mostly because the BMW dealership was 200miles away, and it kinda sucked running down there all the time for updates :p . I will be adding more weight to my X anyway with handguards and a fender pack and stuff to make it street legal here in SD. If I was a racer I might worry about 6lbs but I am not :) I just want to have fun and see how big of hills I can go up without hitting to many trees :D Roost on!