Sign in to follow this  

Speaking of Tanks.......

I filled the Clarke this morning and took off...

Wonderful ride in town, county roads, and fire roads, racking up 126 miles.

I still have not hit reserve. Any body running a Clarke 3.9 and 17's know where I'll hit reserve. Gotta be getting close.....

Hey Railroader, this is totally O/T but have you seen the trailers for the new Batman Begins flick (I'm guessing your Star Wars appreciation travels into other comic type crap too)? Saw it this weekend before Constantine.

Railroader,

Are you using the stock speedo? If you are, the 126 miles you rode today were more like 80 miles. My bike has about 6400 miles on it with 17's, in reality it most likely has about 4800!! I wish the new 400SM service manuals/parts were here already. I keep checking the parts system to see if the speedo gear it here yet, but its not!!! :):):p

Railroader,

Are you using the stock speedo? If you are, the 126 miles you rode today were more like 80 miles. My bike has about 6400 miles on it with 17's, in reality it most likely has about 4800!! I wish the new 400SM service manuals/parts were here already. I keep checking the parts system to see if the speedo gear it here yet, but its not!!! :):p:)

Yeah, stock speedo.....

Over a known, measured, mile I get 1.1 miles on my odo with the 17's installed. The odo was correct with the 21" front....I was figuring 10% error on the odo which would mean 113 miles. :D Are you really getting a 30% error?

Still a lot further than I was getting before reserve with the stock tank...

No, I never really measured, It was just a ball parker, I guess I have more miles than I thought!!! :):)

I don't have 17s but I hit reserve with the clarke between 150-170

depending on how much I stay on the throttle or the terrain I'm in.

My stock speedo reads 10% high when I compare it to my GPS.

Anyone know the size of the Clarke 3.9 reserve? I'm guessing less then

a half gallon, probably more like a 1/4 gallon...? I should carry an extra

container of fuel and do a run out test to know how far reserve is good for.