Sign in to follow this  

Question about swampifying my WR...

I'm going to re-route the hoses but in the interest of taking a short cut, would cutting the hoses shorter instead of re-routing cause any problems; either now or further down the road?

And looking at Sunruh's site, out of the five hoses on the bottom, which one from the right side? (the side with the rear brake pedal) is the one that's "supposed" to go to the airbox?

Sorry, I know this is pedantic but unless I get a clear shot of the whole thing, I end up with more questions than answers and I'm terrified of making some irrepairable, collossal mistake. I always question myself two and three times, "just to make sure". :)

I would think that cutting the hoses shorter would increase the chances of getting dirt, water, or other contaminants inside the carb. Not the end of the world, but probably worth avoiding.

I too didn't want to chance cutting the hoses and suffering some sort of disaster. I found they were easily long enough to run right up the right-hand frame rail, under the cross member and right on top of the airbox, you could put them in the airbox, I suppose. but I just left them out. Pretty quick and easy mod, and made it swamp-proof!!

I too didn't want to chance cutting the hoses and suffering some sort of disaster. I found they were easily long enough to run right up the right-hand frame rail, under the cross member and right on top of the airbox, you could put them in the airbox, I suppose. but I just left them out. Pretty quick and easy mod, and made it swamp-proof!!

Oh yeah? Sounds interesting- I can picture that in my head but do you have a real pic of that- just so I can compare :) I was thinking about that, too but thought it might look too sloppy.

Of the five hoses, 4 of them are carb vents. The other is a drian for the carb. All you need to do is take the two hoses that are coming out of the carb vents facing up and run them up behind the batt. along the subframe rails. The other two hoses can be left in the stock position. If they were ever to get clogged, the upper hoses would still be breathing.

Oh yeah? Sounds interesting- I can picture that in my head but do you have a real pic of that- just so I can compare :) I was thinking about that, too but thought it might look too sloppy.

I do give me a while to get me new pictures on file. I will put the link up soon.

Ok, cool, I got it now. :)

I was looking for holes in the airbox to stick the hoses through so that's why I was confused :)

As far as the use of pedantic goes, I'm unimaginative when it comes to learning and need to have things spelled out. :p I think I got beaten over the head one too many times growing up when I made mistakes :D

Thanks for the pics! As soon as my zip ties get here, I'll know what to do with them. :D

I ride in the swamps of NJ and the mung gets deep. I never bothered moving hoses around and haven't had any trouble.

I opened up my airbox per the FAQ but left out the lower hole.

If I'm not sure how deep the water is I let someone dumber go first.

Yeah, I got into a mud puddle up to my knees last weekend and the bottom of the airbox had water in it and that little clear tube is half full of mud now. That clamp is really tight! :) I fell over enough times though, that mud had gotten everywhere. :)

Many times after a ride I find a bit of water in the tube, no biggie just drain it.

I use pliers to open the clamp.

The very first time I took my wr out thru a creek it died on me, actually thru 3 creeks, went home, found this mod and no problem since. I also moved my crank breather hose up, just in case I had a case of the stupid and decided to try and restart in the water!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/CrowlMoto/WR250F/WR_BreatherHose.jpg

Yep, I plan on doing that one, too. I was really close to doing the stupid and starting in the water- hee, hee luckily, I didn't! What is that smaller black hose that the breather hose is zip tied to? I didn't see one of those on my bike. :)

that is just the clutch cable..I tied the breather hose loose enough where the clutch wouldn't be pulling or dragging the hose or cable either one.

:p guys ,bottom line ,running the hoses different or whatever doesnt make up for the fact that your bike is not a jet ski. no matter what, you aint going to be bragging when your motor is trashed .you can do serious damage to your machine if you dont use your head :) take it for what its worth this thread is getting dumb :)