Sign in to follow this  

CRF230 Power-Up Jetting at 6000 ft?

Anyone have an idea what jet sizes I should use if I uncork my 230 and ride around 6000 ft above sea level?

Thanks in advance!

I live at 4,000 ft and ride between 3,500 and 5,000. My 230 runs the 115 main jet, the stock needle with the clip in the middle position, the stock 42 pilot jet, and 2.0 turns out on the mixture screw. I just did it yesterday and it starts immediately and idles fine. I ran it up and down the street a few times and it felt good, but I haven't had it out on the trails yet. Before that I had the 120 main, the power-up needle with the clip in the 4th groove (from the top), the stock pilot, and 2.5 turns on the mixture. Both these set-ups were with the exhaust insert and snorkel removed.

With the 120 main and power-up needle it felt a lot better than stock, but didn't seem to pull as well as I thought it should....it just felt like it could be better. I'll let you know how it does in the "real world" after I get out to ride again next weekend, but feel that it will be an improvement.

Hopefully coeshow will jump in here with the good info.

Cheers,

Mac

I have had my wifes 03 230 up to 7500ft with the stock jetting and it ran just fine. No mods to the pipe, air box opened up on top. I went one tooth less on the countershaft sprocket so the bike could go as slow as possible or walking speed. At 3200ft where I live it's still good down low but a little lean on top. My wife needs smooth power and a low speed chug factor and this setup works, even with me on it.

That's what I was wondering, since the air up here is thinner, whether the stock jetting would work if I uncork the 230. Guess I could try it and "Re-cork" it if necessary. Has anyone successfully re-installed the airbox snorkel?

The airbox "snorkel" will go right back into place. At 6000 ft I think you could easily get by with a 115 main jet if you have pulled the baffles. The stock pilot and needle should work fine as well. You would need to ride the bike and compare the performance after making incremental changes just like MotoMac has been doing for his area and conditions. Test, test, test.

Happy tuning !!

I've run my '03 230 at 6-7000ft with an FMF pipe and stock jetting many times. I had to back out the mixture screw a half a turn after taking out the snorkel, but still haven't rejetted. Asked two dealers, they both said "If it runs fine, don't mess with it".

Uncorked the 230 over the weekend. I think I gained more noise than anything else. Maybe a little midrange. Also, the bike smelled like it was hotter than normal. I'd bet that rejetting would help, perhaps add some power at higher revs.

Once it was warmed up, there was no popping, blubbering or other weirdness though, just the unusual hot smell. I'm sure that was due to the leaner mixture.

I put the snorkel and silencer back on, they reinstalled easily. I'll get a power-up kit sometime and try again...