Sign in to follow this  

Moab Trails?

I am looking for recommendations on riding trails in Moab. Which trails do you like to run? I am taking my 12 year old down the end of March. Which trails would be good for a beginner?

Thanks.

Rodzilla's write up contains a lot of useful information.

I would recommend the Klondike Bluffs trail. It has a good mix of dirt road, a few sandy sections, a few rocky sections, and some slickrock. Be sure to stop and see the dinosaur tracks on the left just as you hit the slickrock. That makes a fun rest stop for the kids. There is also a short hike at the end to an overlook into Arches.

The Gemini Bridges area is not too hard, but it is kind of rocky. My family didn't care for that area much. And the Monitor/Merrimac area is too sandy.

If you want something really easy, consider Onion Creek (on the road) - it has a bunch of fast and easy stream crossings. Hurrah Pass is also very easy, with plenty of other trails to explore if you want something just a little more aggressive.

But the trail my family likes better than any of those is Black Dragon Wash in the San Rafael area. You can access it from either the east or the west side. The west access requires more route finding, but it is a nice family ride. You ride down to the petroglyphs and back. If you access it from the east it is only about a mile to the petroglyphs, so ride up the canyon, and then back down. If you want more miles, ride around the Jackass Flats loop.

Check out the Utah Mountain biking page for more info. http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/

Family rider hit it on the head. With a 12 year old definitely do Klondike Bluffs. He will get a kick out of the Dinosaur tracks. If you drop down into the valley west of Hurrah Pass and do the loop around Jackson Hole, you can find a lot fossils in the areas where there is shale type rock. Your 12 year old may get a kick out of that. You can also go out to Chicken Corners from the same trail.

The dinosaur tracks start right when you hit the slick rock.

John

Just came back from Moab tonight. My son is 12 and pretty much a beginner with an XR100. I found the north trails of Fins -n- things to be fun and easy trails for a kid. Klondike bluffs as suggested above is also a good one for kids.

Gets pretty crazy here during Easter Jeep Safari. That is the week just prior to EAster every year. This year it ends on March 27th.

Not much new to add

My suggestions...

Gemini Bridges

Monitor/Merrimac area

Klondike bluffs (for sure!)

Try the practice loop on the SlickRock trail

Also lots of easy dirt road riding on Behind the rocks trail, 13 miles south of Moab on main road, turn right at the top of the hill.

If you are up for the drive, the Dunes area around White Wash (13 miles west of the Moab exit off I-70 to the south)

should be good for a day