Sign in to follow this  

scotts steering stabilizer

wanting to purchase scotts steering stablizer, how many of you use one, and how well does it work. thanks in advance :)

I've been running a Scott's damper since '94 and I love the thing! It's some of the best money I've ever spent. But, as others will point out, it's no substitue for a properly set up suspension. If you need suspension work, get that done first, then buy a damper :)

i have shopped around the cheapest was 429.00, the installation looks easy enough, the pros and cons is why i posted this thread :)

Did you check TT? I am pretty sure they have it for less. I might be mistaken but i checked a month or two back and remember it being in the high 300's. Again, I might be wrong so check if you haven't. I buy so much stuff for this bike I get a little confused sometimes. :)

I plan on getting one this summer regardless so I am very interested also. :)

Pro: everything, best buck you spent. Well I don't have one but everybody says that.

Cons: Costs alot. I have always heard, once you ride with a dampener you wont want to ride without one....

Its on my list of things to buy later this year. I want a WER style dampener. The fender mount one.

Pro: everything, best buck you spent. Well I don't have one but everybody says that.

Cons: Costs alot. I have always heard, once you ride with a dampener you wont want to ride without one....

Its on my list of things to buy later this year. I want a WER style dampener. The fender mount one.

Love my WER unit...Only downside is if you use the stock headlight shell

you have to cut quite a bit away for the damper arm...Mine's a dirt bike

so don't care "that" much about foo-foo factor but I am looking for a suitable

headlight replacement...Has to be better than my stock unit/PIAA 80/80W Superwhite bulb...I wrote to that UK company that sell dual headlights but they never wrote back...

WER1.jpg

If your looking for something decent, the acerbis cyclops is okay.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ has some nice stuff. I would try and contact the Thumpertalk store by calling in to see if you could get anything from them first. Better, quicker service i.m.o.

If you want something really bright, look into H.I.D lighting. :):) (costs an arm and a leg and another leg...)

You might try the RTT and you'll get a stirdy and leight weight triple clamp and remote contol with it for free.

www.rttmotorsports.com

I've been using it for half a year and couldn't ride deep sand without it. I've been riding deep snow and mud this weekend and it keeps my wheels lined up!

Take care,

Noppy

I have the WER and feel compelled to comment that I have not been entirely happy with it.

I replaced the front springs and installed the WER at the same time. It made a huge difference and allows me to ride much faster, which can get you into trouble also. Anyway, for overall increase in speed while riding for me it was much better than moding to get more power.

My beef with the WER was that the frame bracket was rivit on and the rivits never tighted up before they popped. There was maybe 1 mm of play. I spoke to the company and they were very nice, but of no help. I tried riding with it like that and they loosed up more and I had to fix it with an unconventional fix by back shimming between the bracket and the frame. It works great now, but I strongly recommend getting the weld on bracket.

The second issue is that it feels to dampen differently from right to left when on the stand. I realize that when set properly one should not notice the damping, but when set to a strong damp, it feel stiffer to the right than to the left. I don't notice it when I ride so no big deal right now, but wonder if something is not right. I also "hear" what I assume are air bubble within in the unit as I move from right to left.

Overall I think stablizers are great, but if I had it to do over, I would try hard to make the scotts work and I would never again use a rivit on mount for the frame braket. I know Dave welded his which is the way to go.

Anyway, that is all I have to say. Ride Safe.

I think that I have an idea but would like to get the straight facts. What does a steering dampener do for me and how does it work? I ride as much as possible in desert conditions in either So Cal or AZ.

Any info would be great.

Eric

12many,

Sorry to hear your trouble...Yeah I welded mine because I had heard

of some with problems with the rivets but mainly because I didn't have

a rivet gun...Mines worked flawless since I had it installed and it definitely

helps me go faster (like you said that aint necessarily always a good thing

but if you're gonna go fast might as well be in control)...You might want

to flush out the fluid with some new 5wt. suspension oil...maybe you have

a bubble in it like you said...I'm in the States now and buying lotsa stuff

to bring back to Africa with me (Just got a delivery of 3 rear and 2 front

trackmasters today...yeah I went with quantity over quality TM2 vs. Terraflex...and a bunch of other fluids and lubes, etc and am going to

flush my WER with 5wt. when I get back)....Manual on the WER says to

replace fluid every 1000 miles...Sounds a little excessive but I should have about 1500 on mine now so gonna do it to be safe...