Sign in to follow this  

Gpr Vs. Scotts

Ok. after yesterdays desert ride ,and a couple of uncomfortable incidences i'm ready to buy a damper.Been to both web sites,price is close.Any last minute input before i lay down my HARD earned cash.(did the search thing already). I REALLY apriciate it ! :)

I went Scotts, maybe because they won Baja 97 times or whatever, at least I have confidence that its state of the art stuff. What your going to get is a whole bunch of folks telling you what they have and how its the best, I don't think any of us have the time & money to do an honest comparison. I have read that Others dapen going to and from center and scotts dampens going from center but allows it to come back undapened, don't know if thats propaganda or not?

I expected and received more stability in the front end, what I also got that I did not expect is say your on a gravel road, normally if your front tire slides a little you get all puckered, lift on the throttle, correct, sweat, allow heart to slow down, etc to recover while having visions of tucking the front end in and doing a face plant, with the damper you just smile, apply a bit more throttle so the back slides more than the front, smile more, wheelie on the way outa of the corner, front end pushed, no big deal.

Dave said it pretty well. This is kind of like debating oil. Some folks feel very strongly about their choice. IMO, they all work well. One of the DB mags did a review of the mainstream dampers last year sometime and did a pretty good job of it. They said the GPR was more of a western US riders damper, FWIW.

We own 2 WER's and 2 Scott's and I have no complaints or issues with any of them. I'm sure the GPR is great, too.

I have a GPR 2.0 under bar mount. I dig it. I have heard very good things about Scotts and a couple of guys that I ride with will absolutely not ride anything but. I can tell you this. My GPR treats me right. very easy to use. The GPR guys are at alot of the national caliber races and are very willing to help out with their product. It is very easy to use and inspires confidence. I think that the Scotts is more tunable and there are some distnct differences, but either way, any damper is much mo better than none.

Ride well

I decided on scotts. When I ordered the sales guy really worked with me to get everything I needed - I needed to change bars as mine had a crossbar - not compatible with a stabilizer. so I wanted to upgrade to the KTM renthal fat bars - no problem, scotts had 'em in stock. but that meant upgrading my bar mounts to handle the larger bars, they had those in stock also. but that meant I had to change my EE hand guard mounts to a taper mount, no problem, scotts had those in stock also! Then I wanted the kinkage arm on the stabilizer reversed so I could add the scotts dashboard for an enduro computer at a later date - no prob. I ordered on a Saturday and told them I had a ride the next weekend - they 2 day shipped everything to me - I had the gear Tuesday and installed it Wednesday. Everything fit first time and our ride was excellent! I can't say enough about scotts customer service. That's not to say GPR isn't great also - I've heard great stories about them as well, but my experience with scotts was fantastic and I love the unit.

-d

GPR service is top notch - I just had the fluid in my v2 changed from 10wt to 7wt at no charge. And the stability that Dave talked about with his Scotts stabilizer on gravel roads is a noticeable benefit with the v2 too - it no longer feels like I am riding on marbles. But I think that there may be something to this dampening back to center that I am having a hard time getting used to with my GPR. Maybe this will improve with the 7wt. fluid - I haven't had an opportunity to ride the bike yet since the fluid was changed.

But my biggest gripe with the GPR is the handlebar position. I loved my bars at position #4, and the GPR v2 moves the bars to exactly center or position #2-1/2. Seems like they could re-engineer the bar clamp part to give you some adjustability here. And you can get a Scotts under bar mount that will allow you to use the original bar positions #3 and #4. So I guess if I were to get a stabilizer now, I would probably get the Scotts with the UBM, but it wasn't available last summer when I bought the GPR v2. :)

Keep in mind too, though, that I'm no desert racer - I'm just a 50+ year old guy riding for fun and scenery. :)

All I have ever used is the Scotts. I'm sure the others are fine too. I've just never needed to replace the Scotts yet. I've used the same one on three different bikes for about 6 years.

:)

Paul

I have had the GRP for a year and it is a great piece of equipment. But I would not buy another. That is if I can get a good looking under bar on the Scotts like GPR offers the next time I am ready to buy. The damping on return to center makes NO sense to me. I did not really think about it when I bought the GPR, it looked good, was made well and the price was lower. Now the Scotts is offering under bar mounts, although for the KTM they look kinda shitty. Maybe BRP will fix that. BUT, from a technical standpoint the Scotts is superior. Superior is what I think. Why would you want damping on return to center? You don't . You want damping AWAY from center. Then you can turn your bars back to center quickly, especially in higher damping settings. Riding in the woods last summer I had to turn the GPR way down from the desert settings so that I did not under correct in the twisties although with the whoops and sand and rocks in between the trees I sure coulda used the damper on higher settings. Scotts is a better engineered product. 987 baja wins or not.

I also didn't care for the GPR. I replaced a V2 with an RTT because of the damping to center. I think older guys (me) and tight woods riders (me) tire out more quickly because of the damp to center.

The only reason I went with RTT was I also changed the offset to 18mm. This made the RTT a good value with the triple clamp change. Otherwise I would have used the Scotts.

By the way Sharon at RTT has provided excellent service and the unit itself is absolutely beautifully made.

I clipped a tree pinned in 5th which bent the EE guards and the stabalizer post but I was able to keep the bike up. I don't know if it was because of the stabalizer or just dumb luck but I won't ride again without one.

I have had the GRP for a year and it is a great piece of equipment. But I would not buy another. That is if I can get a good looking under bar on the Scotts like GPR offers the next time I am ready to buy.

Look here: Scotts Performance Products

498.jpg

Or wait for the new GPR v3!

gpr3_press_pic.jpg

post-3-1109312028.jpg

Concerning the GPR V.3, I contacted GPR and they are available now (in 8 colors). The kit costs $550 for the mounting bracket, stabilizer, post, etc.... Basically everything you need. I've ridden an RTT before and liked the remote operation feature, but disliked that you were limited to three damper settings at the remote lever. Also, the integrated nature of it seemed overally complex and likely to leak. I've ridden both a Scotts and GPR, and give a slight edge to the Scotts, but the new remote operation of the GPR V.3 probably gives it the edge for me. It is a bit spendy, but as someone said before, you can transfer a damper from bike to bike which allows you to amortize the cost over a greater period. Bottom line, taking your hands off the bars to twist a nob is risky, and I'd rather not do it. Most of the times that I need more dampining, it would be easier and safer to have a grip located adjuster. My .02....

Regards,

Wardo

I've had 'em all... in quantity. The GRP does come with great support and it's a quality piece. Same can be said of the RTT. But neither one offers free-to-center damping and that's the biggest drawback. It can drain you and add to arm pump on long, challenging rides.

I'm currently running a Scotts underbar and it's the best I've had.

If GRP made the V3.0 in a FTC design I'd buy one in a heart beat.

~ Ken

I've had 'em all... in quantity. The GRP does come with great support and it's a quality piece. Same can be said of the RTT. But neither one offers free-to-center damping and that's the biggest drawback. It can drain you and add to arm pump on long, challenging rides.~ Ken

The RTT is free to center. That's the reason I gave my kid the GPR V2 and got the RTT with 18mm offset clamps.

Hey Luz -

Not sure if you've got something different, but neither of my RTT's is free to center. Put your bike on a stand and check again...

~ Ken

Hey Luz -

Not sure if you've got something different, but neither of my RTT's is free to center. Put your bike on a stand and check again...

~ Ken

I hate to say this but I have one on my 04 400exc and on my 04 200exc and both of them are free to center. It was the number one reason I got rid of the GPR.

http://www.rttmotorsports.com/HTML/tc%20main.html

To quote the website:

With internal steering damper

Located below the handle bars

Remote adjustment switch for on the fly changes

Free to center

Lighter than kit systems

4 different handle bar positions

Progressive breakaway

Hard anodized aircraft aluminum construction

Includes all hardware

Handle bars not included

If yours isn't I might suggest that the preload on the head bearings might be to high or the stabalizer itself has a problem.

Hmmmm...

Both of mine are a couple of years old now. Maybe I'll give 'em another look. The FTC was the only reason I moved away from RTT.

Thanks Luz!

~ Ken