Sign in to follow this  

Skid Plate / Engine Guards

I'm looking at installing a "Works Skid Plate" and the two "Works Engine Guards" on my '05' CRX450. They are aluminum and dont know how much protection they provide. Looks to be more than none and or the plastic stock guards. Any suggestions and experiences would be welcome.

ThanX

05 CRF 450

02 YZF R1

83 YZ490

70 FLH Electra-Glide

My guess is that you're riding a lot of desert in New Mexico - only you know what kind of damage exposure you need for that bike - run a big skid plate with metal case guards attached, itll do the job. When I rode desert, I used to run a DG (I think) skid plate - the thing was huge! It weighed a lot too; that's why for mx use I run the works connection glide plate only. I only assume that the same thing is available for the CRF. Truth be told, the weight probably wouldn't bother most people - it's minimal and low on the bike.

Perhaps more offroad guys can weigh in on this one.

I have a utah cycle skid plate on my 02 and my 05 they cover the whole bottom of the motor plus the side protection is awsome it protects the water pump as well as the oil pump/ filter side all for 69 bucks.

Very good advice, I do ride in the desert with lots of rocks, and high speed get offs looming. Weight is not the major factor, protection from case crushage is. I'll investigate the steel guards.

ThanX

Speaking of Frame protection can anyone suggest if a company makes lower frame/engine protection?

(similiar to the ones scott summers uses on his CRF down near the shifter and rear brake pedal??)

For what it is worth this weekend I watched a crf 450 with the aluminum guards that replace the plastic stockers not only break the oil filter cover but also the case when the bikr tipped over onto a rock. I now want a full coverage plate.

E-line carbon-kevlar is big on coverage small on weight. Really strong and looks good too. Only problem is it is pretty pricey.

Try Wave Racing, the Italian company. They make the highest quality aluminum skidplates I've seen. Full side and bottom coverage, beautiful looks, and simple install. With the euro/dollar exchange now it's kinda like if you hafta ask what it costs you probably don't want it, but again I reapeat their stuff is the best IMO.

Check out the Badger Racing skidplate/engine guard, it is pretty nice looking and at a reasonable price for the complete unit..around $90 if I remember correctly. Do a search here on TT for a picture and contact info...I just deleted the info from my "wishlist" the other day :)