Sign in to follow this  

95 xr 250 uncorking question.

I have a 1995 xr 250. Have a question about exhaust. It runs good but i think it would run better if i put an after market exhaust on it. I would like to know if this would work, also is there any rejetting that needs to be done? Any imput would be apperciated. :)

I really dont think you're going to gain much. The pre-96 pipe is pretty good already. Just replace the baffle with one that flows better.

I would not spend a ton of cash with aftermarket exhausts, especially on a 95 which has a less restrictive flow. I have a 2002 and simply removed the cap and baffle and replaced it with a billet power tip. These can be purchased on ebay for only $30. This tip creates a mean growl and certainly enhanced the performance of my bike dramatically. No jetting was necessary after the change.

Good luck

http://stores.ebay.com/2R-Racing

I would like to remove the baffle, but on this exhaust you cant. Its welded into the muffler. This is my boys bike and i'm trying to make it run a little bit better until we can afford to replace it with a newer model. He's out growing it. :)

Does the fmf come with the pipe, or do you have to cut and weld. What size of main jet did you put in it. Thanx.

These billet tips advertised on e-bay do not have usfs approval. Just a warning - and for the same money you can buy a pre-98 baffle (Baja sells this as HRC baffle, but the same thing can be had from service honda for less than $40?).

This gives you the option to insert a white brothers vortec or a "baja baffle" at a later date. Or switch back and forth between stealth and obnoxiously loud whenever you want.

Back to the '95 pipe question. My experience is that the stock pipe performed very well with the baffle removed and the noise wasn't completely obnoxious with it pulled out (but, I used to run 13 disks in my supertrapp way back when, so my memory may be distorted a tad). I ran a thumper insert in this pipe and it was very quiet - passed 94 db sound test. You can also pick up a baffle for an older XR model - like an '83 xr200 and I think it fits right in with a decent size outlet on it.

- jeff

Is the bike in question an XR250L? Because the R model never had a welded in baffle.

What are the consequences of having a part not USFS (United States Fire Service?) approved? Does this only become problematic in highly regulated state parks? Do they actually inspect the type of cap? I have used it for about 6 months without a hitch. Just curious... Thanks.

Well if they do decide to check it then you can be ticketed as you dont have a legal spark arrestor.