Sign in to follow this  

DJ Kit and 3x3 completed

Over the weekend I finally finished up the DJ installation and 3x3 airbox. Honestly, besides a reduction in decel popping, I haven't noticed any power increases! :) I'm curious to know if not seeing any extra "umph" has anything to do with my street gearing (15/41)?

from what I hear 15/41 equals no wheelies even with the mod.

but if you had a snorkled S and did the 3x3 and jetting, you should have felt something.

Prior to the DJ / 3x3, I was running a 14" FMF Ti 4 slip-on and had removed the airbox snorkel. By the way...14" FMF pipes are L-O-U-D :) The bike wheelies just fine, with a light feather of the clutch lever. The only thing is, with this gearing, by the time the front end comes back down as I'm shifting into 2nd, I'm going around 30-35 mph.

from what I hear 15/41 equals no wheelies even with the mod.

Sooooooo NOT TRUE....

Mine will still wheelie in second with just a good tug on the bars....easy to find/stay in the sweet spot with the taller gearing. I like 15/41..... :)

I have not tried the 15/41 gearing yet as I am still waiting on my 110 link chain. But I did ride my supermoto this weekend with the 15/44. The horsepower ran out before the gearing did. No way am I going to be bumping the limiter in 5th.

I'm wondering if the 15/41 is really neccesary. What are your thoughts on the subject railroader?

Maybe after I upgrade the carb and cams...I could reach beyond the 15/44...but at his point it appears to just be a sacrifice of torque.

the 15/41 is needed becuase of the shorter 17 inch wheel.

if the original poster is running 15/41 with a stock rear wheel im sure its a pig.

15/41 with a 17 is equal to 15/44 with a 18.

try it and see.its a drastic change just swapping wheels.

Burned- I've been running the 15/41 gearing on stock wheels and Deathwings, trying to get the lowest revs and best gas mileage at highway speed. 90% of the time my DRZ-S is ridden on the street, with a 80 mile+ daily commute.

When its time to go offroad, I've got an extra set of stock wheels with Pirelli MT21's and a 47t sprocket. Perhaps then I'll be noticing the extra grunt from the airbox & jet mods.

Burned,

Do you think I will see a performance benefit of some sort out of the 15/41? I have topped out at a reading of 110 (I know it is not accurate) and the bike does not seem to have any more power to go any further. It is not hitting the rev limiter. Top speed is typically a factor of HP. I think I need more horsepower before I will see a benefit out of 15/41....other than mileage.

What do you think.

P.S. I know I am hi-jacking this thread a bit...but it seems somewhat relevent.

17s...my new supermoto. My 110 link chain has no arrived yet...we had nice riding weather this weekend...so I put my 15/44 on. Didn't seem like it was revving all that high...and the power topped out before the revlimiter.

if you can stand the 15/44 on the highway,go with it.

i ran 15/44 in town and 15/41 if i wanted to go anywhere.

what ever you decide just realize your over all gearing is lower becuas eof the smaller wheel.

Thanks! I'll probably give the 15/41 a try since the chain is coming. But I will probably pick up an extra 44 tooth to keep for the supermoto setup...or I may try a 14/47 for my dual sport setup and keep the 44 for supermoto.

Just terrible having so many good options...huh? :)