Sign in to follow this  

Are there any states in America supportive to dirt bikes?

Are there any states in the U.S. supportive to dirt bikes and offroad use? States that provide numerous trail systems and limited restrictions? Here in the great state of CT, we have NO supported trail systems provided by the state besides 1 trail system that is for dual sport riding only. We also have 1 other trail system (thomaston dam), that is supported by the U.S. Army Corps (not the state). We have had numerous debates with legislatures yet we seem to get no where. In fact, things are just getting worse as they try to increase the registration fees for atv's and dirtbikes when there is NO state supported land to ride on! Are government officials actually that DUMB and CLUELESS? Anyways, are there actually any states in this great America that support the sport (excluding mx tracks)? If so I feel glad for you guys/gals that are as lucky to live in such a state. For CT and states like it... well you can kiss my :)!

You live in a fairly small state, occupied by many people that probably

follow the NIMB "not in my backyard" way of government...

California has numerous areas that are maintained and paid for

by OHV sticker and entrance fees, maybe some other funding.

Foresthill in the Sierra mountains is free and has miles of great trails.

We have several dune spots, and other areas as well. It is of course

a huge state in size compared to Connecticut.

I would say from what i have heard about the hatfield McCoy trail system that there are ohv friendly states.

Come to Colorado. We have several state-funded trail systems. In fact, the Lakewood motocross track, home of the newest AMA National, is state funded. Our mountains are full of jeep trails that are open to motorcycles. In many communities you can easily street legalize a full-blown motocrosser. Bet you've never seen a CR 250 with a license plate on it :) . No helmet law, cheap track fees, and some of the largest dealerships and accessory stores in the country make Colorado a rider's dream. Did I mention that it was about 60 degrees in Lakewood yesterday?

Can't complain too much living in Michigan. Seem to be a lot of trails. It's getting more restrictive, but still have good trail systems.

Idaho and Utah have some of the most developed and best trail systems around. They cater to riders buy building bridges, clearing downed trees, and bulldozing easy trails. Especially Idaho. The nicest thing California has done for us is give us trails in the middle of the desert then take some of them away by passing the sticker law (red/green sticker). Oh, did I mention how nice they were when they passed the 96db law? Just to inform you, evey motocross bike made and about half the trail bikes are illegal in OHV parks in California. If you have a choice to move to move to CA, don't whatever you do. Even with these laws, CA has some of the best trails in the country, and do you know who made them? Us, the hard-core riders who go up clifts just to find a way down. Tom Webb a DIRT BIKE magazine editor said it best when he stated, "California, a state where guns, turtles and (something else) can be liscensed, but where dirt bikes can't."

Here in Brownsville they can care less! One crazy mother was runnin' around with a pipe so loud that you couldn't even ride behind him. No one complains about noise or the dustruction of the area... I can't imagine places like California. I prefer it here in good ol' Browntown.... By the border, by the sea...... And next to SPI..... home of spring breakers!!! :)

The Hatfield McCoy Trails is very supportive of dirt bikes as are most of the towns around the trails. Gilbert is really one of the most ATV and dirt bike friendly towns that you could imagine. They appreciate the difference that the riders are making in the economy. Gilbert allows dirt bikes and ATVs to ride from the trail into town to get gas, go to Hardees or McDonalds, do their banking, etc. You will not visit a more friendly town!!

I must say that the one thing the state is doing right is updating trail systems. Wayne National and Perry State Forests do regular maintenance to improve trails. Draw back to Ohio, 65mph max speed limit, not allowed to shoot off fire works, no rifles allowed for deer season,etc. It's due to our high population for the size I guess.