Sign in to follow this  

Question about Cycra handgaurds with an aluminum throttle tube

I'm going to buy some Cycra handgaurds and I also want to get a Protaper throttle tube. Will I have to butcher the throttle tube up to install the handguards making the throttle tube junk? I had some Acerbis rally pros and I had to whack off the end of the stock nylon throttle tube to fit them on and if I have to do that to fit the Cycras then that would mean buying an aluminum throttle tube would be a waste of money. Thanks for the input!!

CAUTION! Never just whack the end of your throttle tube or grip off! This is what everybody does and it looks like crap and then you lose part of your grips. Take your time and drill the end of the throttle tube out regardless of what it is made of. You will have to finish cleaning it up with a dremel. If you don't have one then its time to get one. You may have to do a lot of the cutting with the dremel if you use aluminum. Do the same thing with the grips except use a razor knife to cut out the end. The dremel will smooth out the inside of the grip perfectly. Don't forget to safety wire your grips! I drove three hours to a hare scrambles one time just so I could have my throttle grip spin after I blazed through the first creek. I got last.

I have Cycra Pro Bends with a billet throttle tube and I hate it. I have the end cut off(should have drilled). Every spec of dust that gets in there, you can feel it grind and scratch. With my next grips I'm buying a plastic one and drilling it.