Grunge brush: good tool or useless crap?

You can find the grunge brush for less money if you shop around.

I had a grunge brush given to me as a gift and I like it. I spray my chains with simple green, then spin the rear wheel while squeezing the grunge brush onto the chain and it helps to clean 3 sides of the chain at once. I'll use the brush on the other side of the chain and then hose off any dirt / grime. Once the chain is perfectly clean, I'll spray it down with WD40 to displace the water, then wipe it down with a clean rag. Then I'll lube the chain with Schaeffers 227 moly roller chain lube (awesome product) and let it sit a day. It's quite thin & runny at first when applied, but it will adhere to the chain / sprocket and dry in a days times while forming a solid film lubricant that can withstand pressures of 500,000 pounds per square inch. Once adhered, it forms a very tough long lasting solid lubricant film, which resists removal by water and heat and it does not attract dust or dirt. The chain looks brand new after I'm done. I've done this same treatment to chains on some of my friends bikes and there's an obvious before and after difference in the sound (quieter) and rolling resistance (less resistance) when spinning the rear wheel.

I dont ever use mine to be honest with you. buying an xring chain and spraying it with wd40 is a lot easier than scrubbing a regular chain.

i agree with this...every good mechanic i know says the same thing...chain wax is like sticky syrup..and everything sticks to it..WD40 is a nice clean thin lubricant...just remember to hit your chain with it everytime you ride and you'll be fine..

• 3 years later...

I personally really like mine and use it all the time. I wash my chain with the brush and cleaner, let it dry and go out for a ride to warm it up, then use Maxima Chain Wax. I really like the chain wax, nothing I have found (dirt, sand, creek mud) stick to my chain at all, unless I lay it over in a mud hole (which has happened a time or two).