05 TE-510 rear brake pad wear cycles

My dealer advised me to keep a spare set of rear brake pads in my tool box. apparently The Bremo brakes on the Huskys seem to wear out pads quickly. This seems true as I have 5 hours on the bike in winter conditions and the rear pad thicknesses have decreased from 5mm to just under 4mm. There is also some phonograpgh record type scoring on the out side of the rear disc too. I guess from mud and grit.

My question is regarding the owner's manual. It says the service limit of the pad is 3.8 mm, but the little diagram looks to dimension this including the pad and the shoe.

Now the replacement set I bought looks identical to stock and it's dimensions to the best I see with my small metric blade scale ( not calipers) is the shoe is 3mm thick and the new pad is 5 mm for a total of 8 mm. If accurate, then that means if the daigram is true in the book, you can run the pad down to 0.8 mm thick with a 3mm shoe = 3.8mm............that would make some sense rather then the other thought that maybe the owners manual wants you to change out your 5mm pads as soon as they get to 3.8mm? cant be right. right?

bob

0.8mm thickness for the lining is most likely correct. For my Kawi the new thickness is 3.8mm and the service limit is 1.0mm.

Did you know that if you go clockwise on loop 3 at Rock Creek, the rear brake will last longer than going counterclockwise?

Ride on

Brewster

bigbob.

you seem to have a good dealer there. the pads that come stock on the huskies are a soft organic compound great in dry conditions but when it gets wet they will wear very fast a semi metalic pad will last a longer but may not offer the same performance as the organics. i switch back and fourth depending on the conditions ?

The rear pads material on new bikes does seem to be very soft and mine only lasted about 10 hours and were worn to to the steel ? . I don't use the rear brake much but in England we have a lot of mud so I now fit 'EBC 208' metal sintered pads, They work well and last about 40 hours and I change them when they're down to 1mm :thumbsup:Any less than 1mm and the friction material starts to break up.

The front ones do all the work and I have just replaced them after more than 2000miles, they last ages ?

RickyT

04 Te250