Sign in to follow this  

'99 YZ250 2stroke jetting?

l I bought a used yz250 and had a jeting question. I knew that the folks at TT could help. My situation is im running a size 50 pilot jet at 1000 feet above sea level in 50 degree weather. Mid to high end is great. But for just off idle 0 to 1/8 thr. My bike sputters and pops, but cleans out easy with a little more twist. My air screw is 2.5 out. The plug is black but not wet. Its puting out a bit of spooge. The tp end is new only 2 hrs on it. So all of this is teling me too rich on pilot jet right?

The old owner had a 60 pilot jet and the air screw turned all the way in when I bought it. Like I said, I swiched to a 50 and it improved some. Should I go smaller? :) Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I don't recall my exact jetting at stock. But I know I never ran bigger than a 48 pilot on my '01. And I'm at about the same alt. as you. I have quite a few mods to my motor, but my jetting right now is 45 pilot, 175 main 1 1/2 turns, and rips! Seeing this is Thumper Talk, shoot me a pm and I'll help ya out.